Image Map Image Map
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here actually collect Unix stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by EtchedPixels View Post
    [...] Your scheme sounds rather close to VNC.
    That's a really good observation. Are there any open source VNC implementations out there that could be hacked upon?

Quote Originally Posted by legalize View Post
    That's a really good observation. Are there any open source VNC implementations out there that could be hacked upon?
    https://github.com/TigerVNC/tigervnc

which is driving me nuts right now because I can't get it to work between a Fedora 30 box running MATE and OS X

Quote Originally Posted by legalize View Post
    Are there any open source VNC implementations out there that could be hacked upon?
    The protocol itself is dead simple, so it might be just fine to start from scratch.

The original VNC was licensed under the GNU license, which of course means any direct derivative also is.

Sun's OEM partners produced Wi-Fi notebook versions of Sun Ray:

Comet 12 - Sun Ray 12" notebook produced by General Dynamics
    Comet 15 - Sun Ray 15" notebook produced by General Dynamics
    Jasper 320 - Sun Ray 2 notebook produced by Naturetech
    Amber 808 - Sun Ray 2 tablet produced by Naturetech
    Opal 608 - Sun Ray 2 tablet produced by Naturetech
    Gobi 7 - Sun Ray 2 notebook produced by Aimtec
    Gobi 8 - Sun Ray 2 notebook with 3G support produced by Aimtec
    Ultra ThinPad - Sun Ray 2 notebook produced by Arima
    Ultra ThinTouch - Sun Ray 2 tablet produced by Arima
    UltraSlim - Sun Ray 2 variant produced by Arima
    Tadpole M1400 - Sun Ray 2 notebook with 3G support produced by Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Today's arrival: a Sun Ray 2-compatible Tadpole M1400
    There some on eBay dot com. Priced around 100-150 USD + S/H. Brand new.

Latest SunRay to arrive is a Gobi7 that thinks it's a Gobi8 (also MIPS based). With some hacking to jOpenRay (renaming it to "kOpenRay") to deal with the Gobis lying about their source IP and to autodetect the native device resolution, we can play Tetris (served from my Raptor Talos II running the Java server). The Gobi7 is on the left, the Tadpole M1400 is on the right.

The next thing to do is figure out why it generates so many UDP NAKs and to deal with the ssh implementation having weaksauce crypto.

https://www.floodgap.com/iv/3839
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

From where did you get the Gobi7? And how usable is it? for ssh on text-based console applications.

Currently not very. There are lots of graphical problems. It appears to have worked fine with jOpenRay on earlier JDKs on their tested SR2 system, but none of the three SunRay laptops I have work properly with jOpenRay or kOpenRay (mostly things that don't repaint). I'm improving this slowly.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by ivelegacy View Post
    I have a SunRay2, but to be honest it's not comfortable at all. The software is a mess about trying to support it on Linux.
    SunRays were the best. I had a large company of analog and digital chip designers using CAD applications with dual 1920x1200 monitors and it was fast, it felt like things were running on a local PC. I setup a 'desktop farm' with SunRays to distribute load across so many users.
    A SunRay running in Taiwan connecting to the East Coast of USA ran as if apps were local.. mouse and visuals very responsive (with over 200ms latency, ping times, on the network). Testing that same network connection with VNC and RDP without SunRay suffered with performance.
    At home, I would hook up 6 or more SunRays to present a single desktop across 12 monitors.. and it ran very well... including sound (playing mp3's, etc..). Playing videos/movies did not do so well though. Try doing all that directly with RDP or VNC!
    SunRays also had a 'Software'-based SunRay.. that can run on Windows or MacOSX.. and turn any system into a SunRay. The Software was good.. maybe slightly faster than regular RDP.. but nothing compared to the performance and responsiveness of the hardware SunRays.

The OS on the host running the SunRay server does not really matter.. as you can ssh to a Linux node, X11 to a Linux node, XDMCP to UNIX and Linux systems, automatically RDP to a windows node (or RDP to Linux with Xrdp). The installation guide is clear on what is supported and the requirements it needs. It worked well out of box on Solaris 10, as well as Redhat/CentOS Linux (6.x in my last tests) and Ubuntu too. You may need to run a bit older versions of Linux.. but its just the SunRay server, have the user session access a display on another system.