Image Map Image Map
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody here actually collect Unix stuff?

Happened upon a Sun Sparc Ultra 10 300Mhz with type 5 keyboard and Sun mouse. Nasty on the outside, but (relatively) clean on the inside. Keyboard was n-a-s-t-y. Took it apart and cleaned down to the nubs. Works perfectly (keys nice and springy). Boots up to Solaris 2.6 IDE desktop! Other than that, the drive is entirely empty. Also the NVRAM chip is dead, so I need to buy a replacement and reprogram it. Found the necessary info here on the forum (thanks guys!).

NO IDEA what I'm going to do with this system, but at an acquisition cost of $3 total (you read that right), had to rescue it. Used to work on Solaris back in mid-90's writing oilfield analysis apps in X-Windows. Maybe I can get some of those working again.

I don't consciously collect it, but I do have a Sun Blade 2500 and an SGI Octane sitting around.

And a PowerMac G5, if that counts (I'd say it does, technically :P)

Quote Originally Posted by ScutBoy View Post
    Where are you located? Especially for the big iron, it makes a difference...
    Yeah, post your location -- I've got a SPARCserver 1000 that wouldn't mind a new home! But shipping it would be an ordeal, especially to a residence.

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Yeah, post your location -- I've got a SPARCserver 1000 that wouldn't mind a new home! But shipping it would be an ordeal, especially to a residence.
    Oooh - an SS1000 is one of the few things left on my "want" list these days. Any chance you are coming to VCFMW again this year?

Quote Originally Posted by ScutBoy View Post
    Where are you located? Especially for the big iron, it makes a difference...
    I am in Vancouver Washington

Do you all have any sort of meet and greet for VCFED members at these conferences? I'm relatively new to the forum and have yet to attend any, but it's on my bucket list! For newbies like me, it would be nice to have some welcoming faces. Maybe a lunch or beers mixer with VCFED avatars on name tags. Sounds a bit cheesy I know, but would help us conference first-timers assimilate.
    Last edited by normanator; August 1st, 2019 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by normanator View Post
    Do you all have any sort of meet and greet for VCFED members at these conferences? I'm relatively new to the forum and have yet to attend any, but it's on my bucket list! For newbies like me, it would be nice to have some welcoming faces. Maybe a lunch or beers mixer with VCFED avatars on name tags. Sounds a bit cheesy I know, but would help us conference first-timers assimilate.
    A good question, but probably more appropriate as a topic for a separate thread. I know we used to have a thread about this back on Nekochan (if you're ever at VCF West, track down classichasclass - you'll probably find him exhibiting some esoteric Mac or AIX thing,) but I don't think we have one here.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Thanks. And yeah, this isn't the right thread. Apologies.
    “The Bex religious impulse does have its collective side. As in, collect everything and hold on to it whether you remember where it came from or not.”
    —Alberto Fossa, Privateer 2

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    A good question, but probably more appropriate as a topic for a separate thread. I know we used to have a thread about this back on Nekochan (if you're ever at VCF West, track down classichasclass - you'll probably find him exhibiting some esoteric Mac or AIX thing,) but I don't think we have one here.
    As it happens, I'm exhibiting at least one esoteric AIX thing this weekend at VCF West too. (A ThinkPad 860.)
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    As it happens, I'm exhibiting at least one esoteric AIX thing this weekend at VCF West too
    I am still building my own "esoteric things" with my crew of hobbyists at DTB, but technically projects are not "vintage computers" but rather "we want to reinvent the wheel, but since the modern technology is so bloody hell advanced for the hobbyist technology, then what we recreate looks like a vintage computer".

Is there any space and any interest in these things at VCF West?

For sure we will participate in the #CCC, which offers Hackaday-alike talks. It will happen in four years, in Germany.

I have recently bought a lot of fiber optical stuff, typically used in enterprise unix environments during the 2000s. It's for a project that my crew at DTB is on.