Image Map Image Map

Thread: switching processors

Default switching processors

Would a AMD Duron 700MHz processor work in my Dell XPS T450? It has a Pentium 3, 450 processor in it.
    i am CANADIAN.....EH
    GO OILERS!!!!!

Default What?

?????

AMD and INTEL are not compatible. They DO NOT use the same sockets. No, it wouldn't work. AMD and Intel both use their own sockets, so their not interchangeable..... Sorry.

-Vlad

However, an AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-3 may function in your computer. Those three used the Socket 370 interface, like Intel's later Pentium II/III and Celerons. The AMD processors were generally much cheaper than a full Pentium, and supposedly more powerful than a Celeron with its cut down cache.

If you have a Slot 1 processor (identified as a big, vertical cake with CPU fan which goes into the motherboard in a card edge connector), you need a good Slot 1 to Socket 370 converter to use an AMD.

You should however check which voltage each K6 processor takes and compare to what your motherboard can deliver. They're a bit picky about those things, and if you accidentally drive too high current through the CPU, both it and perhaps the motherboard may take damage.

By the way, the original AMD Athlon processor was known as K7, and I believe the Athlon64 architecture was referred to as K8 to begin with.

Edit: If you feel adventurous, you may look out for VIA Cyrix/C3 processors too. They may not be as powerful as the MHz suggests, but it was one of the last brands to hold on to the 370 interface. If you want to find out more about various recent PC CPUs, this is a good page to start:

http://www.geek.com/procspec/procspec.htm
    Anders Carlsson