Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have an ISA bus connector?

Default Does anyone have an ISA bus connector?

I'm trying to connect an 8" drive to a DOS system and run 22DISK. The adapter cable requires a ISA bus connector (from old motherboard) and 34 pin edge connector from a 5.25" drive.

I checked Ebay for old motherboards, but they are priced to high. Does anyone have either of these parts they are willing to sell/send?

Thanks so much!

Nick

I can get the 50 pin card edge female from vetcosurplus.com. So I really just need a source for the 34 pin male edge connector.

Blog Entries

Wouldn't it be simpler to use a 34 position male IDC header that you could plug into a modernish floppy cable?

Male edge connectors were never common.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Wouldn't it be simpler to use a 34 position male IDC header that you could plug into a modernish floppy cable?

Male edge connectors were never common.
    Sounds like Dave Dunfield's adapter where he uses the edge connector off a scrap 5 1/4 drive to be the base for the crosswiring to the ISA connector; the problem with just using a cable is having the fragile connections somewhere. A little hand-wired transition board would be ideal.

To the OP: the list of MBs and controllers you're looking for in the other thread is on the same page:

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

I recently purchased one of the d-bit FDADAP 8" drive adapters:

http://www.dbit.com/fdadap.html

I got a homebrew cable working briefly, but then decided to switch from my SA800 to a DSDD 8" drive for the APC and wasn't too interested in rebuilding the cable. The FDADAP also keeps track of seeks and manages TG43 for you...the new ones have a current track readout too. Paired with an Adaptec 1522A, I should be able to handle all of my old 8" disk formats, except the OSI!

If you really want an ISA connector, I actually have a large quantity of 16-bit factory NOS ISA connectors...I'd just have to find them.

Thanks for all the comments.

glitch when you find an ISA connector can you please let me know? I'll pay you for it and some S&H. It doesn't look like my Shugart 800-1's require TG43 signal, so I'm going to go with Dunfield's design at:

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img29374/cnct.htm

Nick

Blog Entries

If all you want is the 62-position part of an ISA bus connector (heaven knows why, when what you really need is a 50 position one--JDR has them and HSC even has them in the ribbon variety), there's a guy on eBay selling 2 new ones for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by atod View Post
    Thanks for all the comments.

glitch when you find an ISA connector can you please let me know? I'll pay you for it and some S&H. It doesn't look like my Shugart 800-1's require TG43 signal, so I'm going to go with Dunfield's design at:

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img29374/cnct.htm

Nick
    Your SA800-1 will require TG43, mine does. It's "reduced write current" for the smaller-circumference tracks. If you're using ImageDisk, it supports supplying TG43 through the parallel port, but 22DISK won't know about it. Don't know if it'll cause problems in your setup or not.

Thanks! Do you know what signal it is? I didn't see it in the manual. Looks like it will be easier to purchase that adapter. I'll just re-use the existing 50 pin cable I have to it.

I like Dave's setup with the 37 pin D-type connect on the back of the PC. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a cheap source for the connector mount plates.

Blog Entries

Many 8" drives don't require TG43/RWC - they're smart enough to figure it out. Only the very early (e.g. SA-800 drives) requires it--and that's only useful for writing. 22Disk (at least the later versions) does supply it if you've got a CC IV (which has a couple of extra latched bits on the card). Similarly, the Microsolution's 8" drive adapter accounts for this.

I ought to know.