Image Map Image Map
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: It's DONE!!! Paku Paku -- new DOS game!

oooooh! I downloaded it off of the first post, that's why. I'm used to the first post being updated with the latest version, my bad.

I will take a look tomorrow with the latest version!
    Mike
    An equal opportunity collector.

No edit rights here, so I can't update the first post... that's why I started a new thread about the latest release:
    http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...-now-with-MIDI
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

@deathshadow

Step One -- make a floppy image or virtual disk
    In order to run any game you need a disk image for the emulator to use. jDOSBox supports the same IMA format (which is just a raw dump) of a floppy, as well as hard disk images. For simplicity sake we'll just be using virtual floppies here. If you want to know more about making disk images and how they are used in DOSBox, check the IMGMOUNT documentation from the official DOSBox website.
    When you create an image of a hard drive, from existing files, and you load it into DOSBOX, not the jDOSBOX, just regular DOSBOX, can you copy files from a physical drive and save it into the *.IMA file, using DOS commands, and then the file, when DOSBOX closes, will save your changes and update the file?

Or is it like, a READ ONLY sorta thing, you can't change it once it's created the first time, like a WORM drive.

Also..

Can you simply extract the files from an *.IMA to a physical drive, using DOS commands, in DOSBOX, just as if the drive image was a regular physical drive, dropping virtual/cloned/image-of into realphysical-media?

~Kiyote!

Was going to start a whole new thread about it, but you had posted part of the details in this thread already.

Quote Originally Posted by kiyotewolf View Post
    When you create an image of a hard drive, from existing files, and you load it into DOSBOX, not the jDOSBOX, just regular DOSBOX, can you copy files from a physical drive and save it into the *.IMA file, using DOS commands, and then the file, when DOSBOX closes, will save your changes and update the file?

Or is it like, a READ ONLY sorta thing, you can't change it once it's created the first time, like a WORM drive.
    JDOSBox they're read only (at least when accessed online) because the file doesn't 'really' exist locally. With the regular DOSBox they're read/write, so yes you can go ahead and save to them and it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by kiyotewolf View Post
    Can you simply extract the files from an *.IMA to a physical drive, using DOS commands, in DOSBOX, just as if the drive image was a regular physical drive, dropping virtual/cloned/image-of into realphysical-media?
    No reason why not. So far as DOSBox is concerned they're all just drives. If you mount a local directory using MOUNT, and a img file with IMGMOUNT, you can copy back and forth no problem.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    So far as DOSBox is concerned they're all just drives. If you mount a local directory using MOUNT, and a img file with IMGMOUNT, you can copy back and forth no problem.
    It should be noted that the image has to have a valid filesystem, which must be specified in the IMGMOUNT command.

A problem with early 160KB and 320KB floppy disks is that they don't allways have the FAT "signature" in the boot sector, thus DOSBOX won't mount them as FAT (and even if they did, the file index table is located in different sectors than the later formats, something DOSBOX can't cope with either).
    Current systems owned by me:
    Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
    Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Quote Originally Posted by per View Post
    A problem with early 160KB and 320KB floppy disks is that they don't allways have the FAT "signature" in the boot sector, thus DOSBOX won't mount them as FAT (and even if they did, the file index table is located in different sectors than the later formats, something DOSBOX can't cope with either).
    That's quite odd -- I've not once encountered that... I believe that was fixed as of 0.72, and since we're on 0.74 now...
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

I'm going to be making tiny hard drive images to put projects together in tiny little suitcases.

~Kiyote!

awesome game! testing now on dosbox! - congratulations, and i expect seeing more games as good as this!

Quote Originally Posted by nitrofurano View Post
    awesome game! testing now on dosbox! - congratulations, and i expect seeing more games as good as this!
    Be sure you grabbed the latest version from here:
    http://www.deathshadow.com/pakuPaku

(think I'll hit 'notify' to get a mod edit).
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

Some commentary in the source code would really be appreciated.