Image Map Image Map
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: It's DONE!!! Paku Paku -- new DOS game!

Would you consider adding autodetection for a C/MS or Game Blaster card? It will not work for an upgraded Sound Blaster, but would for an original Game Blaster card.

Also, the tempo of the Game Blaster music seems slightly slower than the Tandy music. Is this by design?

Sorry I'm a couple years late to the party, I just found this game this week. Can someone tell me how to compile the Paku Paku source code into a new executable? I want to change some of the starting parameters so I can start at higher levels and so forth. I tried using Free Pascal ver. 2.6.2 on PAKU.PAS, but either I don't know how to use it, or it's the wrong compiler to use. If it helps identify the problem, I got a bunch of "unknown identifier" errors. Thanks!

It is a real mode DOS game, aka 8088/8086 16 bit code. In FPC (Free Pascal) the only DOS target you have is 32 bit protected mode using a DOS extender -- completely incompatible with the graphics and sound routines the program was written to use.

To compile the program you will need a copy of Turbo Pascal 7. You MIGHT be able to compile it in Turbo Pascal 5.5, though a few code modifications may be needed.

Though I have played with the idea of making a modern version of the game using the same 'play logic' but as a SDL and OpenGL game using FPC. For the most part around two-thirds the codebase would have to be pitched in the trash to do that -- much like the C64 version I wrote which uses the same 'logic' but thanks to differences in random number generation, language it was written in AND screen resolution isn't identical in ghost behaviors.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Thanks for the reply (and yes, that was also me who emailed you, please disregard that). DOS it is. It's gonna take some doing to hunt down TP7 (i.e., a legitimate copy) but I just might make that my little quest for this month. Appreciate your help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    It is a real mode DOS game, aka 8088/8086 16 bit code. In FPC (Free Pascal) the only DOS target you have is 32 bit protected mode using a DOS extender
    Actually, the current dev tree has a mostly-functional 8086 branch now. However, it only supports the tiny, small, and medium memory models, so you're limited to 64K for data/stack/heap. It is a very early work in progress, but it does create usable code. I mention it as a point of interest because eventually it will work properly and use FPC's code optimizer. Even a single pass of the peephole optimizer will produce better code than TP7.

Quote Originally Posted by mylife4iron View Post
    It's gonna take some doing to hunt down TP7 (i.e., a legitimate copy) but I just might make that my little quest for this month.
    If you need a demo copy to work with while you track down a legitimate copy, try poking inside ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/xtfiles.rar
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

OMG! I can hardly believe this can run so smoothly on my 5160. Last time I checked, my 5160 was the slowest one in Trixter's Topbench, but it plays better than the Pac Man clones I had on my 386.

I have always been kind of a spazz, so I won't be setting any hi score records, but I am impressed Jason!
    Last edited by fatwizard; January 21st, 2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: See spazz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatwizard View Post
    OMG! I can hardly believe this can run so smoothly on my 5160. Last time I checked, my 5160 was the slowest one in Trixter's Topbench, but it plays better than the Pac Man clones I had on my 386.
    Actually the PCjr (stock) is the slowest, and Paku Paku runs just fine on that as well. IIRC it also supports the 3-voice sound chip on that system.

It's a wonderful little framework; I keep hoping Jason will make more.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by fatwizard View Post
    I have always been kind of a spazz, so I won't be setting any hi score records, but I am impressed Jason!
    I've been playing with optimizing down even further, partly because I want to make it run on a 128k DOS 3.3 machine (right now in THEORY 128k is DOS 2.2 only, and that's untested), partly because I'd like to make a CGA specific version that has no snow... though my big problem is that by the time I add the code to track the very narrow windows in which to write to video memory without snow, there isn't enough time left to run the game logic.

One way I'm reducing the memory footprint is "fun" -- instead of two full screen back-buffers I'll have one for just the map... and five small buffers just for the sprites. I'll copy the mapbuffer region to the sprite-buffer for each sprite, then the sprite-buffers to the screen. Likewise the map-buffer only needs to be 64 wide, so no more multiply by 80 on the backbuffer, and since the front-buffers can be segment aligned, I don't need to use a calculation on them for the copies. Even the sprite addresses don't need to be calculated as they too are fixed.

... and I'm going to leverage coded sprites as well which means less memory reads involved in the process. There are also some optimizations I came up with for the 6502/C64 version that might work well too.

... and of course that promised jr joystick fix that the unfinished 1.7 was supposed to deliver -- that's right, I've not forgotten you guys; sorry it's taking so long -- you know... life.

Kick out the Jesus freak ex-fiance, working on fifteen different projects at once ranging from php/sql CMS/forum systems to SDL/OpenGL games, official private alpha tester for seven different games from three different companies... (getting paid to play games -- love it!), get a surprise financial boon from a class action lawsuit... upgrading ALL my hardware...
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Oh yeah, a lot of the code relies on muliplies and divides by three -- since the maximum value that would be multiplied by three is 33 and divided by three is only 96, I'm gonna make tables and use XLAT for that. Should give it a right proper boot in the patoot.

I might even just go whole-hog assembly, but I'm not sure that's worth the extra effort. Programming 101, optimize where it's needed, keep it simple everywhere else.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

For anyone with a slow system who can alter and recompile the source, Paku 1.6 joystick fix here: http://www.brutman.com/forums/viewto...start=60#p2214
    Offering a bounty for: