Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of Apple Lisa 'landfill'

Blog Entries

Default Location of Apple Lisa 'landfill'

This is just for fun -- I understand Apple buried the last remaining inventory of Lisas at Logan, Utah. I was wondering if in fact that is the same as the current Logan landfill there? Has the location ever been definitively pinned down? And could someone legally go digging for Lisa treasure?

I'm not serious about this of course... 20 years in the ground and bulldozer violence I'm sure would have done horrendous damage. But I kind of wonder if someone hasn't tried anyway, or if they even could. I understand Apple had the area secured to ensure nothing got out..

Blog Entries

If the landfill was being used 20 years after the Lisas were dumped there I would think they are under 30 feet of compacted junk by now.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Hope they shot them first, since the Lisa had the computer equivalent of "Hoof and Mouth Disease".

You know, with two bummers in a row (the Apple III and the Lisa), if it wasn't for that fact that Apple users were rabid, Apple would have gone back to being a fruit.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druid6900 View Post
    Hope they shot them first, since the Lisa had the computer equivalent of "Hoof and Mouth Disease".

You know, with two bummers in a row (the Apple III and the Lisa), if it wasn't for that fact that Apple users were rabid, Apple would have gone back to being a fruit.
    Haha... yeah it`s taken me a while to get used to the idea of Apple not being on death`s door.

$10000 in the mid 80s -- that`d be $19-20k right now. Sheesh. Would have had a nice downpayment on a house for that much. I guess their business plan didn`t count on competition from the real estate sector. A collector who sells one at $10k is still only recouping about half their initial investment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    If the landfill was being used 20 years after the Lisas were dumped there I would think they are under 30 feet of compacted junk by now.
    Yeah I didn`t think of that. Our landfill is now about that high 10 years later. They said Apple bought the land... I found that kind of weird... I suppose checking the land registry might nail it down. It`d be a Goonies kind of quest for sure. I`m assuming they were all Lisa 2s... not 1s.

If you guys raid the lost tomb of the Apple Lisa, I have dibs on a nice working one, mmk? :P

After all, there should be plenty to go around.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    After all, there should be plenty to go around.
    Lots and lots and lots.

However, if you subtract the 90% that croaked from bad design, how many of the remaining 10% would still be working after being under 30 feet of compacted garbage?

They could barely survive day-to-day use.....

Quote Originally Posted by Druid6900 View Post
    Want to read something funny? Check out the story titled "IBM secrecy" from the January 30, 1984 issue of InfoWorld. The choice quote:

The current rumor is that the real IBM Personal Computer (to be released sometime in 1984) will use the powerful Intel 80286 chip. Could this machine be the rumored "Lisa killer" IBM supposedly has up its sleeve?

IBM didn't NEED a "Lisa Killer". Like the Apple /// (which is what happens when you let a software guy dictate hardware specs), most Lisas committed suicide.

Hell, whatever they came out with, if you turned it on in the morning and it was still running at lunchtime, it would have been a hands-down winner.

Did you see the fellas who dug up a "few" Atari 2600 ET cartridges?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rt_3_bQVJU

If the lisas are as easily dug up it would at least make a fun youtube video
    Looking for: anything from SGI or DEC/digital
    Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se