Image Map Image Map

Thread: Roland LAPC-I Retail Box Contents

Wink Roland LAPC-I Retail Box Contents

I own 5 Roland LAPC-I cards with retail boxes and I cannot help but notice that each card comes with different manuals or no manual at all. I do not know whether previous owners did not keep manuals with their cards. So I am wondering whether other Roland LAPC-I owners with retail boxes can reflect on this.

I had a Roland LAPC-I card at one time in the box and I recall that with it came the manual, folded in half, and a pair of separately bagged audio cables. I believe they were RCA to 1/4" jacks. No software in those days. The MCB-1 came in a separate, smaller box. My manual was the one Roland has on its website.

Unless you were going to program the card, the manual was not really important and I am not surprised it got lost since all it told the user was how to install the card.

5 LAPC-Is is very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    I had a Roland LAPC-I card at one time in the box and I recall that with it came the manual, folded in half, and a pair of separately bagged audio cables. I believe they were RCA to 1/4" jacks. No software in those days.
    Thank you for your response. It appears I am missing some manuals and the RCA to 1/4" jacks.

The MCB-1 came in a separate, smaller box. My manual was the one Roland has on its website.
    I am missing the manual there as well.

Unless you were going to program the card, the manual was not really important and I am not surprised it got lost since all it told the user was how to install the card.
    Right: but for collecting it is unfortunate not to have the manual and cables that came with these.

5 LAPC-Is is very impressive.
    Collecting these is not that hard but comes at a relatively high price. For some reason nowadays Roland SCD-15/SCB-55 in retail condition and SCD-10/SCB-7 are much harder to find than Roland LAPC-I, Roland RAP-10 or Roland SCP-55 in retail condition.

I suppose the reason they are harder to find is because they are daughtercards, oftentimes thrown out with the card on which they were mounted. The LAPC is awesomely sized and populated and it has a dual function.

All of my boxed LAPC-Is have come with manuals folded in half. I also have an original LAPC-I service manual. And although I have a boxed MCB-1 it did not come with a manual. I even have the last official ROM upgrade for the LAPC-I from Roland. After my purchase the chip is no longer available world wide . This is the first I have heard of the cables though. I guess my collectible LAPC-I is not as complete as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    All of my boxed LAPC-Is have come with manuals folded in half.
    I have LAPC-I retail boxes with the manual folded in half. And other LAPC-I retail boxes with a sheet of paper.

I also have an original LAPC-I service manual.
    Cool!

And although I have a boxed MCB-1 it did not come with a manual.
    This http://cgi.ebay.de/220746895097 seems to come with the MCB-1 manual and the MCB-1 retail box.

[QUOTE=Shadow Lord;169294]I even have the last official ROM upgrade for the LAPC-I from Roland. After my purchase the chip is no longer available world wide .
    I read about those ROM updates. I wonder whether http://www.vintageplanet.nl/pages/roland.html has these for sale.

This is the first I have heard of the cables though. I guess my collectible LAPC-I is not as complete as I thought.
    The same http://cgi.ebay.de/220746895097 appears to come with the cables.

I suppose the reason they are harder to find is because they are daughtercards, oftentimes thrown out with the card on which they were mounted. The LAPC is awesomely sized and populated and it has a dual function.
    I guess you are right even though I suspect more Roland SCD-10 / SCB-7 and SCD-15 / SCB-55 were sold than Roland LAPC-I as the former appeared much later at a time when computers were sold in so much higher numbers than in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

In the early 2000s the Roland SCD-10 / SCB-7 and SCD-15 / SCB-55 were very often sold in clearance from music stores in the EU: I remember purchasing many (and selling them again as I moved from NL to CH to NO to US).