Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scsi card readers and more

Blog Entries

Nice gslick.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Thanks for all of the resources! I don't believe there is a shortage of SCSI-50 drives, the problem is that hard drives are terrible technology. In an attempt to preserve my collection, I am looking for alternatives to hard drives in order to keep the computers running. Hard drives do and will fail. I'm attempting to do a similar thing to my '80s machines and their floppy drives, with SVDs (semi-virtual diskettes).
    Anyway, if SCSI-50 can be adapted to IDE, my next question is, can anyone verify if the compatibility is as good as any other IDE bus? I want to be sure it will be compatible with whatever I throw at it. Probably an IDE to CF or SD adapter. Also I can't find any prices on http://www.scsi2ide.com/, and that makes me nervous. Also the navigation links on the top of that page all 404... I'm skeptical of who I send money to.
    gslick, I did see that product in my search, it just seems rather expensive. I may consider this option some day, but not as long as the hard drive still works. The computer I am putting it in has cost my $18 USD total. Why is everything so expensive!?

Thanks

Here is a new (to me anyway) device now available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/034-DinoMons...16.m2516.l5255

smp

Quote Originally Posted by BitFracture View Post
    gslick, I did see that product in my search, it just seems rather expensive. I may consider this option some day, but not as long as the hard drive still works. The computer I am putting it in has cost my $18 USD total. Why is everything so expensive!?
    Thanks
    $72USD for a SCSI2SD ( http://shop.codesrc.com ) seems reasonable to me considering as far as I know it's a one man operation designing, assembling, and selling those and he's probably just breaking even for his efforts. By the time you add in shipping and tax it looks like it's closer to $100 though.

When the SCM PCD-50B that started this thread were available I think it was around $70 for one of those when I bought one.

Not what I would consider cheap, but also not what I would consider excessively expensive.

-Glen