Image Map Image Map
Page 213 of 214 FirstFirst ... 113163203209210211212213214 LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2135

Thread: For Sale: spotted on Craigslist (continuous sightings)

Oh well, I literally do not have room to "save" things like this without a specific idea of where they'll end up. I live in an apartment and the stuff I already have is overflowing my living room. I've been trying to see items off to better homes, but demand JUST. ISN'T. THERE., and I might have to start tossing out my 'keep' stash pretty soon, which I'm not at all happy at all about. (Which is also why I'm trying to replace some of the rigs I actually use with thin clients & cube PCs.) I shouldn't have to make excuses for letting a find like this go to somebody else.

FWIW the last "retro! vintage! clicky!" mechanical keyboard I sold on Ebay went for the whopping sum of... $27, and that was after I spent about half a day restoring & cleaning it. It was even an XT/AT board with Alps switches that could work on any modern PC with an adapter and a $5 signal converter. The guy paid more in shipping than he did to me for the actual board.

Next time we have a local retro computing meetup I'll ask around and see who got the DisplayWriter... I'd honestly bet it went to a local enthusiast. The flippers here don't even know what this stuff is.

(Anyone want a carload of 386~P2 stuff for cheap? Hit me up.)
    Last edited by xjas; August 5th, 2019 at 03:41 PM.

Blog Entries

It could also be that the beam- and buckling-spring craze is passing and we're safe. Ebay has a couple 3278 keyboards in the 4+ digit range, but I don't know the actual purchase prices. Model M keyboards seem to have slowly declined in price to about the $50 range.

One can but hope.

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post
    ^^ well excuse me for not being "smart enough" to swipe a machine I have no personal interest in & squirrel it away in my closet for all eternity like a rusty albatross. CP/M was already dead before I was born, and I don't have space to "save" things I don't want from some hypothetical dastardly no-gooder who may not even exist. I'd much rather let stuff like this go to people who will appreciate it, which is why I posted it here. If someone had asked me to grab it for them until they could pick it up, I'd have been more than willing, but throwing shade on me for not taking it for myself is pretty rude.

To be honest, I didn't expect it to get claimed that fast, but maybe someone local was looking. Since none of us have any knowledge about where it went, why automatically assume the worst about whoever did pick it up?
    No need to get insulted. You are in a vintage computer forum. That would imply you are interested in vintage systems many of which were dead long before you were born. I have no idea when you were born. For all I know Win 9x was dead by the time you were born so does that make every system before then useless? No one said to squirrel it away for all eternity. I gave you a good reason to pick it up and actually use the system, see what CP/M was good for, and at the same time have a rare system you could learn from. You can either see the potential in that or you don't and write it off as "dead".

I am not as sensitive to the kb guys. They are just another segment of people out there like the recyclers and scrappers with different needs and goals that are harming those of us interested in preservation. They are no worse or better then us IMHO - others here would disagree. That's why I think if people want these systems "saved" then they need to give people not in the know, such as yourself who make comments like "CP/M was dead before I was born", a better reason then "to prevent the KB guys from gutting it". A full on CP/M IBM machine (when IBM actually never a made a machine for CP/M) w/ 8" disk drives to me is a pretty damn cool reason to save the system vs. "some hypothetical dastardly no-gooder" wo might gut it for the KBs.

If you are willing to pickup machines and hold on to them or ship them out (at the recipients expense of course) then you should say so in your post. Just pointing out there is the machine out there does no one any good.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post
    (Anyone want a carload of 386~P2 stuff for cheap? Hit me up.)
    DM me.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    While the DW may have run CP/M in some incarnation, that's not what it was designed for. The character set is EBCDIC and it runs machine-specific software for word processing. A goodly portion of the WP capability lies in the printer for the system--i.e., it's not a dumb printer.
    Chuck,

I know that, you know that. Unfortunately, that does not make it interesting to most people. For most people it has to be a question of what can I do with this vs. it is just sitting in my place gathering dust. That is why you will never see me pickup a word processor machine. Just nothing to do with it no matter how interesting it was at the time. By pointing out you can run CP/M on it I am hoping people will pick it up for the cool factor of having a full fledged IBM CP/M machine with display, printer and 8" disk drives. That makes it like a general use machine which then opens the audience up.

Not on craigslist, but I just spotted this Lisa, someone should definitely look into it: https://offerup.co/tVLGfTuNVY

I messaged him:

For some reason when I refresh the page I don't see my messages, so I don't know if they are making it to him or not. If not, someone else let him know offerup is very much not ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hansberry View Post
    I messaged him:

For some reason when I refresh the page I don't see my messages, so I don't know if they are making it to him or not. If not, someone else let him know offerup is very much not ebay.
    Why surprised? Based on the ad it is definitely a fishing expedition. He doesn't know how much he can get for it so he is letting the buyers be poor saps and make offers. A real seller has a sale price.

I'm not surprised; I know how that works and have encountered a multitude of computer owners like him. I just disagree with the prudence of what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Hansberry View Post
    I just disagree with the prudence of what he's doing.
    My friend, there is no cure for crazy .