Image Map Image Map
Page 225 of 228 FirstFirst ... 125175215221222223224225226227228 LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 2280

Thread: For Sale: spotted on Craigslist (continuous sightings)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Dwight,

not sure if this was in response to my comment but if it was the example I gave was for an auction with multiple bidders. That was the winning bid amount.
    Even there, you have to be careful. Although, it is against the law in most states and against ebay rules, many sellers use shill bidders. Especially, if they think it is a hot item. If they accidentally get the high bid, they will often set you up for a second chance. Don't be fooled by multiple bidders. Before ebay cracked down, claiming privacy, one could find what other bidders were buying. I was interested in an item and set a high bid. Two other bidders were bidding things up until they passed my bit. Of course they wanted me to buy it at my high bid. It seems the two bidders only bid on items from this seller. Random items at that. You may think maybe they like that seller a lot.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    Dumpster find from the looks of it.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I know isn't that a killer. If you're so concerned about people seeing what you buy, don't use ebay. It should be illegal to hide crap the way they do. It was, seemed like it in the beginning anyway, all of the old state auctions laws applied to online auctions also. Yes some real world auctions are run with sealed bidding. But you had to register before bidding and dead beat bidders were flagged or have to pay a penalty.
    Last edited by tipc; March 10th, 2020 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I know isn't that a killer. If you're so concerned about people seeing what you buy, don't use ebay. It should be illegal to hide crap the way they do. It was, seemed like it in the beginning anyway, all of the old state auctions laws applied to online auctions also.
    It was also better when you could pay with a postal money order. It is a federal crime to falsely cash a postal money order. Even if it is a small amount.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Homebrew Tube RTTY Decoder? - $90 (VANCOUVER) https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...090587842.html

Homebrew vacuum tube radio teletype RTTY decoder built I believe from the 1960ís. Unit was made by now silent key ham and has not been powered up for decades. This is a rack mounted unit with nice copper face plate, small CRT, many tubes and transformers. 110 -120 Vac input. Weighs approximately 25 lb.
    Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeterNC View Post
    That is an Everex system not exactly a generic clone.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Of course they wanted me to buy it at my high bid. It seems the two bidders only bid on items from this seller. Random items at that. You may think maybe they like that seller a lot.
    I see a number of shady things like that on ebay. It's not ebay's fault, people are just shady by nature and will figure out how to game any system. Of course, ebay themselves are a bit shady too, so theres that.

That said, I never buy anything from a second chance. Plus, if it's something unique, and they offer a second chance.. you know they're up to something. I think they can also cancel bids, so it's also possible they could bid all the way up with a couple shill bidders, then cancel the one that goes just over you, so you're still the highest bidder at your max.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    It was also better when you could pay with a postal money order. It is a federal crime to falsely cash a postal money order. Even if it is a small amount.
    I'm sure these folks wouldn't care. Money orders were such a hassle, personally.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...091050963.html

Huge lot of pretty good stuff. If anyone buys it and doesn't want that Aptiva/PS/1 I've been looking for one for a while now

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...091050963.html

Huge lot of pretty good stuff. If anyone buys it and doesn't want that Aptiva/PS/1 I've been looking for one for a while now
    Make him an offer he can't refuse.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting