Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Monitor repair type out there?

Question Any Monitor repair type out there?

My Sony Multisync CP-1302 is slowly dieing and was wondering if there are any monitor repair types out there. Or who can recommended a reputable monitor repair service.
    Please advise.
    *FrankG*

Blog Entries

Believe it or now, I think I may have the service manual for the thing. I'll look this weekend, if you'd like.

Great monitors for their time.

But like most Sony gear of the time, crappy power supply design.

Thanks Chuck would be appreciated.
    *FrankG*

I repair monitors.

You don't mention what's wrong with it though - what do you mean by "slowly dying"? Is it getting dim, not wanting to turn on, smearing colors, losing sync, etc?

-Ian

Well For the longest time it would not work with an analog input (VGA) well last night I decided to try one more time to see if I can get an analog signal to work. Well to my surprise it did work. Had it hooked up to my IBM 50z and had it running for about an hour. Then I decided to make sure the Digital was working well it was but anything using graphics would blank the screen. Tried turning off then on and I would see graphics for a few seconds than would go away. Hooked up an analog signal again and it too was not working now. Not sure what has happened but I noticed the power LED was getting dimmer. So I think what has happened is the power supply by dropping voltages may be causing the Monitor to loose sync. But I am just guessing here. It does try to turn on though just doesn't seem to have enough voltages to kick everything in gear. Colors were fine when last working. Not sure if this helps explain the problem but if you could RetroHacker_ send me a PM as to an estimate to repair. I would really like to get this thing working again. BTW there is a switch on the back to allow changing from Analog to digital.
    *FrankG*

Definately a power supply issue the Low voltage distribution PS has low outputs 80v is 23v 15v is more like 4v etc. The input power supply which sends 300v to the distribution PS is good though. 300v output. But without a schematic it's hard to figure which voltages go where.
    *FrankG*

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome45 View Post
    Definately a power supply issue the Low voltage distribution PS has low outputs 80v is 23v 15v is more like 4v etc. The input power supply which sends 300v to the distribution PS is good though. 300v output. But without a schematic it's hard to figure which voltages go where.
    I'd suggest replacing capacitors in the power supply section, especially the ones close to the heat sinks. They just sit there and get cooked from the heat. I find lots and lots of bad capacitors in monitors - it's a good place to start looking.

-Ian

Replaced caps and still no go. I'm starting to think the 2 big switching transistors 2SC3318's are weak. everything else looks good using an DMM.
    Diodes, Transistors etc. But there is one item on there that is worrying me. It's reference is IC501 its a black coated 9 pin device which looks like it has a couple of diodes and transistors in it. Maybe a regulator of sorts I don't know. And thre is also an SCR but ohming it looks good. I'll keep hacking away at it. Unless Mr RetroHacker_ wants a shot at it??

Chuck(G) did you find a service manual for this Monitor?
    *FrankG*

Blog Entries

Missed your original response; @(*#^$ "New Posts" tab keeps dropping responses for me. I'll have a look this weekend. I must have it--I don't throw those things away.

Blog Entries

Found the service manual (and a user manual as well). Unfortunately, it's not scannable--fold out pages would make it pretty awkward. So I'll have t mail it to you--contact me to arrange.

Alternatively, I could scan just those sections that you need or answer questions.