Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist guy Reselling free items!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farquhar View Post
    Seems like a hard road to me. I tried to sell a spare NES I refurbished (new AC adapter, new cartridge connector, completely cleaned up) for $40 on CL. After two months, one guy offered me $20 for it, which is less than the cartridge connector and AC adapter are worth.
    I notice that you are in the midwest. I am in El Paso, and have the same things happen; everybody lowballs me and things never sell for my asking prices, which are half of what most people ask (most of the time). Must be the region.
    The ancients knew *more* than us...
    http://www.legendarytimes.com/forum/index.php They're baaaack!

Come and see http://www.gamegavel.com for all your gaming needs! We have Zero-ohm resistors!

Blog Entries

CL users seem to be computer resellers (business people) more then locals using it as a garage sale. There are massive flame wars on my local CL between a few laptop resellers and their pricing.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by NathanAllan View Post
    I notice that you are in the midwest. I am in El Paso, and have the same things happen; everybody lowballs me and things never sell for my asking prices, which are half of what most people ask (most of the time). Must be the region.
    I don't think it's a region, I think it's more a mentality.

Some people think that the stuff that THEY are selling is worth a fortune whereas the stuff that someone else is selling (and the person wants) has a value of next to nothing or should be free (and, no doubt, delivered).
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farquhar View Post
    I finally just put it out for the garbage because it wasn't worth the trouble.
    I just drop stuff off @ Goodwill.

Sometimes you have to wonder though. I don't consider transistor amplifiers from the early 1970s to be particularly wonderful, but evidently this guy thinks an old Pioneer receiver from that time will sell for $350.
    Some of the higher-end ones will fetch that much... which brings up another point: A lot of people can't seem to differentiate between common near-worthless junk and actual valuable equipment. Like, they'll see really nice vintage Pioneer or Fisher receivers sell for a couple hundred dollars, look at the crappy Yorx one they have and think it's worth the same just because it has a silver faceplate and woodgrain cabinet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Thrashbarg View Post
    Some of the higher-end ones will fetch that much... which brings up another point: A lot of people can't seem to differentiate between common near-worthless junk and actual valuable equipment. Like, they'll see really nice vintage Pioneer or Fisher receivers sell for a couple hundred dollars, look at the crappy Yorx one they have and think it's worth the same just because it has a silver faceplate and woodgrain cabinet.
    I don't know--I think that early 70s transistor amplifiers were pretty terrible, mostly due to the technology of the time. Some of the tuners and receivers that used a hybrid approach were pretty good, but for accuracy, I'll take a modern unit (looking over at the Sansui 2000A sitting over on a filing cabinet or the Harmon-Kardon receiver in my shop; there only because they're expendible).

Speakers are a different matter, however. I still lust after a set of AR-9s or even a set of AR-2AXs; but the used market knows what they're worth. So I have to be content with my University 3-ways and my Dynacos.

I don't know--I think that early 70s transistor amplifiers were pretty terrible, mostly due to the technology of the time.
    I don't entirely disagree, but some of them do have a following nonetheless. Though I suppose I'm thinking more of the later '70s units that fetch the larger sums of money... things like the SX-1250, for example.

Getting a bit OT, but I'm still kinda kicking myself for passing on a set of AR-3a's for $100 a few years ago...

CL doesn't seem to have taken off over here in UK. Maybe becaus all of our old crap gets sold at car boot sales. I know you guys have yard sales and the odd swap meet but is there anyplace where you all go on a saturday or sunday morning selling things from a table at the back of your car? OK, you might not 'get' it but they are a British institution!!

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/18/...9_e55c30bd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by donutty View Post
    CL doesn't seem to have taken off over here in UK. Maybe becaus all of our old crap gets sold at car boot sales. I know you guys have yard sales and the odd swap meet but is there anyplace where you all go on a saturday or sunday morning selling things from a table at the back of your car? OK, you might not 'get' it but they are a British institution!!
    We don't have boot sales here but there is something called the swap meet. The concept is well know in our culture. We used to have really a big one in Vancouver every weekend and vendors would pay a small price to set up a table or spread things out on the ground. Cars were never really in the picture but vendors did sometimes bring them in. That was held outside on an old drive-in movie theatre. Later the Vancouver Swap Meet moved inside and became a more permanent thing called the Vancouver Flea Market. It became really big and popular. You could find anything there.

The problem with anything like that is it starts to become dominated by people who have a commercial interest. You start to see the same stuff every week and much of it is just dollar store junk and not interesting. You also start to get dealers who charge a lot. Here in this part of the world everything eventually gets destroyed by greedy people.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

We used to have indoor flea markets around here, but they seem to have died out (one of the locations needed roofing reworked and it was not worth the price for the revenue generated). You tended to have people selling junk at their tables, some people selling their collections, bootleg clothing, and small retail shops, even a food court. When I was young I used to hit the flea market every Saturday and check out the local Pyramid car stereo shop there (they had pretty much the whole catalog of items out for display). Sure Pyramid was mostly cheap junky crap, but it was fun to buy some raw speakers and experiment with enclosures and amps.

These days its ebay and garage sales. If you are a flea market seller paying the table fees every week you eventually quit bringing in all the crap that doesn't sell and cater to the locals buying habits. I wouldn't call that greed.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems