Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compaq 101709 won't boot

Default Compaq 101709 won't boot

I am VERY new to vintage PCs. I have experience only with newer desktops. However, I've plugged in a recently acquired Compaq 101709, and nothing happens. (and yes, the power switch is on ) Any suggestions on where I should go from here? Not sure if it means anything, but there are TWO 5.25" drives on the front.

Thanks for helping a noob,
    Schuyler

Blog Entries

That 10179 sounds like a serial number, not a model number. There are many models of Compaq systems, but is this something like your system?

Most often, on systems this old, it's not uncommon for the power supply to have issues. But you should first check the fuse on the system before tearing into it.

The one pictured in this article is what I have
    http://www.vintage-computer.com/compaq_portable.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
    (and yes, the power switch is on )
    OK then, is the power cord plugged into the wall?

In seriousness, maybe the fuse blew?

Where would the fuse likely be located on a suitcase like this?

Were they the ones that had the fuse (and usually a spare) in the housing for the power plug?
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Nope, it's a standard computer plug. But now that I've actually paid close attention to it, it looks like a rat has bitten the wire, and some of it is exposed. I wouldn't think that would keep it from working completely, but when I am back home tomorrow I will try a new cable.

I wasn't talking about the power cord, but the part on the back of the computer that the cord plugs into. Sometimes there were little panels that came off and one held the actual fuse and another held a spare fuse.

I can't remember if the Compaq "portable" systems did this or not. I've looked at a LOT of computers over the last almost 40 years.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

I have the same system and Druid is right. Where the power plug plugs in there should be a small panel that can be opened using your thumbnail or a screwdriver. It should just pop right out with the fuse inside a small holder.
    *FrankG*

Ah, found it. However, it blew the spare the second I cut it on, so it looks like I'm going short hunting in uncharted waters. Any suggestions?