Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telnet BBS HELP!!

Smile Telnet BBS HELP!!

Hi everyone, I have an IBM 286 PC that I am trying to set up a Tribbs Telnet BBS. I am at the point where I have internet connectivity through a network card and I can telnet other BBS's. The problem I am having is having Tribbs to talk to the network. Tribbs only recognize com ports 1-4. I need a virtual modem / port redirector to redirect Tribbs to a telnet address. There are plenty of Windows 32 bit virtual modem softwares out there, But remember, I am running this on an old DOS pc without windows. I want to run the BBS from a genuine vintage PC. Any help out there?..

Richard

You could use an old windows PC as a router. Serial in, ethernet out. If you have a spare sitting around, like most of us do.

Now, I am just talking off the top of my head here but isn't this exact situation one where you would use a FOSSIL driver?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Gottalottastuff, Thanks for the suggestion.
    Shadowlord, I don't think its really fossil related, maybe it is??.. I can already access the web with a dos internet browser and all. So I have connectivity from the internal ethernet cad on the 286. I just need a software to tell tribbs that example telnet address, example.dyndns.org is lets say Com port 2. So I want to go into tribbs and say the modem is on com2, and it get data from a telnet address thinking it is com2. I've been searching for a solution to this problem for almost 2 years.

Virtual FOSSIL drivers (which are related to Virtual Modems) are programs that allow DOS based programs that can connect with FOSSIL drivers to provide Telnet connections.
    FOSSIL Info
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Thanks for the link.. I guess it is the same thing. I've been to that page you sent in the link before. Problem is, all those fossil/virtual modem programs are 32 bit windows based, so I can't use them on a dos system. Trying to find a 16 bit dos program to do that those windows softwares do.

Thanks

Richard

As I said I am talking off the top of my head. For some reason I thought BNU did telnet redirect but I guess it makes sense it doesn't. You can try running under Win3 maybe? Again completely off the top of my head. My plan for my own BBS is to just run it off of my always on Win2K home server (eventually) under VMWare or DOS Box.
    Last edited by Shadow Lord; July 26th, 2011 at 11:04 AM.

BNU may actually work. I'll do some research. Thanks. I guess my redirecting has to go to the port of the TCP/IP that is created for the network card. If I can tell BNU to foward X063 (network card address) to com 1-4.. it may work...

Doesn't look like BNU will do it.. too bad. hm...

lantronix has a little box that emulates a modem, and converts a IP/Telnet over to a com port. I played with one when I was messing around with my H89 & CPM to bring a bbs online.

You can pick up them up pretty cheap on ebay.

the model was a uds-10