Image Map Image Map

Thread: Recommending most awesome game console AND games.

Default Recommending most awesome game console AND games.

Sega Saturn.
    Ultimate 2D console of its generation. It could be upgraded with an optional Japanese-release only 4MB RAM upgrade. Necessary for playing X-Men VS Street Fighter JUST like the arcade while the PSone version was heavily altered for lack of RAM in the PSone hardware. So sad. For them.

The bad? 3D games were kinda blocky and a little dark. Resolution wise I mean.

Ultimate Games for this system?

1.) Japanese Import: X-Men VS Street Fighter
    2.) Japanese Import: Dracula X2: Nocturne in the Moonlight (play as Maria OR Richter Belmont)
    3.) Panzer Dragoon Saga
    4.) Dragon Force
    5.) Nights into Dreams

I can't remember any more, but, hey, five makes a fist. POW!

EDIT: I didn't include D&D Collection because it was in Japanese, was heavily text-based (in Japanese) and its more fun to play the arcade version.

Speaking if Sega Saturn....

I just recently pulled mine out of storage and hooked it up to a HD tv with less than stellar results... graphics dont translate well to the nex tvs as far as I can tell. Is there a way to get a good picture with the older systems and HD tvs that you know of?

Much of it comes down to the type of HDTV. On my old DLP older system looked decent but the limited resolution of older consoles (NES, SNES, PSX) really came through poorly. Newer consoles like the GameCube/Wii, PS2 and XBox looked marginally better since they had a higher resolution output but still far below the native 1920x1080 of the DMD. When I replaced my DLP with an LED LCD I saw great results with the newer consoles but couldn't even connect the old ones due to no connectors on the TV itself. Of course the best results will be seen with CRT technology but HDTV set based on CRTs are long gone now.

Not sure how good the graphics would be but I've usually ended up using vcr's to convert input/output to slightly more current (but older than today) technology. I suppose if you had any other type of receiver that accepts older connections and does upscaling it MIGHT look better. One of the best graphics I've seen though is just using an old Amiga monitor on your vintage gaming system. Great graphics and very small dot pitch makes it look almost like an HD display on your old games. You may not notice the difference if you haven't played it a while but from a regular CRT TV to Amiga monitor it's a world of difference if the system has higher resolution graphics.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Vintage consoles need vintage display hardware. Otherwise, you might as well emulate. Buy a cheap CRT TV. They're just about freely available on craigslist or your local thrift stores. If you're picky about quality, you can get RGB out of the Saturn (and most other consoles), which is great if you have an RGB monitor (like the Amiga). If not, s-video is quite nice too.

Plus, a CRT TV enables you to play the great Saturn light gun games. Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, Area 51, all great ports to the Saturn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatta View Post
    Vintage consoles need vintage display hardware. Otherwise, you might as well emulate. Buy a cheap CRT TV. They're just about freely available on craigslist or your local thrift stores. If you're picky about quality, you can get RGB out of the Saturn (and most other consoles), which is great if you have an RGB monitor (like the Amiga). If not, s-video is quite nice too.

Plus, a CRT TV enables you to play the great Saturn light gun games. Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, Area 51, all great ports to the Saturn.
    Have to agree. CRT TVs are literally a dime a dozen (or less). All over Craigslist's free section and any time there's free electronics recycling, expect about 100 or so of them, half probably still working just fine.
    "Deep down I'm pretty superficial." - Ava Gardner

My Computer Museum Website: http://tanrunomad.com/

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/brianpicchi

But if you're serious about your console gaming, or find that the nostalgia factor isn't quite what you remember, see if you can get an RGB monitor, then RGB mod your old consoles (on many of them, it's as simple as wiring up a proper cable). I think that in most cases, you'll be pleasantly surprised - take a look at Chris Covell's site for some screenshots (he was one of the early RGB proponents on the web)
    ---
    Currently seeking:
    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!