Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Hard Card 20

Question Sick Hard Card 20

I've got a sick Hard Card 20 where the controller on the card seems to be starting to fail. It is in a PC 5150, but seems to come back to life after the PC is booted up with a DOS diskette. What can I start troubleshooting with?

Thanks,
    Dan

Are you sure it's the controller? Could be that it takes longer to get up to speed than it should, maybe power supply getting weak or spindle bearings getting tight. If you have an XT around, maybe try it in that. Different power supply that way, and if it works after a reset but not from a cold boot you'll know something about the bearings.

Blog Entries

I'll second that. When a hardcard goes, it's almost always the drive and not the controller.

Those cards aren't really made to last, they were a novelty at the time...feel lucky you have one today that even kind of works without serious work to keep it going!
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Quote Originally Posted by billdeg View Post
    Those cards aren't really made to last, they were a novelty at the time...feel lucky you have one today that even kind of works without serious work to keep it going!
    Yup, all of the ones I have/had experienced drive failure. You're better off with an XT-IDE and a solid state disk (CF or industrial Flash, though I prefer the Flash choice).

When it does get going, I run it through SpinRite, and please also comment on your opinion of that software, SpinRite does pass the drive and controller with passing colors.

Blog Entries

After you get it going, can you power off your system, then power it back on again and have the drive recognized?

@Chuck, et. al.
    If I leave the system off for a couple of days and power it on, I get the 17XX controller error. I have to leave the machine on for a few hours and it will slowly come to life, until I can run SpinRite on it then after running SpinRite on it comes back to life until I power it off again for a few days.

Thanks,
    Dan

Blog Entries

Bad capacitors on the controller board maybe?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Yup, all of the ones I have/had experienced drive failure. You're better off with an XT-IDE and a solid state disk (CF or industrial Flash, though I prefer the Flash choice).
    Best way to go!
    GEEKS WITH A GRUDGE!