Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8bit Friendly ISA VGA cards

Default 8bit Friendly ISA VGA cards

[wiki="File:Oti_01.jpg"]200px|thumb|top|an example of a Video Card, in this case an Oak OTI037C[/wiki]

Here's a place to list and document any 16-bit ISA VGA cards that work in 8-bit ISA slots.
    There are a few VGA cards that are manufactured as 16-bit ISA, but will function properly in an 8-bit ISA slot. Some cards may require a jumper change or other modifications to work in an 8-bit ISA slot. Please post any information you may have here.

WARNING: Some 16-bit cards are advertised as being 8-bit compatible, but require a 286 or better CPU, i.e. designed for an 8-bit slot in an AT class computer.

WARNING: Be aware of clone cards. So for example, just because the VGA card's main chip is labelled "Trident TVGA9000i" does not mean that the card is a Trident TVGA9000i. The card could be an ACME 1234, a card not made by Trident, but uses the Trident TVGA9000i chip, and has an on-board BIOS that requires a 286 or better CPU.

ATI

• VGA Wonder (autosense)
    • Mach-8 (JU1 to position 2/3)
    • Ultra (JU1 to position 2/3)

Cirrus Logic

• CL-GD5320 chipset (JP6 to position 1/2)
    • CL-GD5402 chipset (autosense)
    • CL-GD5401 chipset (autosense)
    • GD5426

IBM

• Gotham Pass 4 TV/VGA Output.

Oak Technology

• OTI037C
    • OTI067 (autosense)
    • OTI077

Trident

• TVGA 8800CS (one or more jumpers have to be changed, Information varies)
    • TVGA 8900C - auto detects 8 bit. Successfully tested on IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086.
    • TVGA 8900D - Manual [here] indicates compatibility with "486, 386, 286 and PC compatibles" and that jumpers need to be changed for 8-bit operation.
    • TVGA 8900CL - Jumper settings that work on a Zenith 4MHz 8088 are: J1=on, J2=off, J6=on, J7=on, J8=on, J10-->J9=off,on,on,on (left to right) Note that the card did not work on a generic turbo 8088 board.
    • TVGA 9000B - From archeocomp: For 8-bit operation, all three jumpers on J9 need to be on. archeocomp verified 8-bit operation in an XT.
    • TVGA 9000C - From Caluser2000: "Connected the jumpers to J9 then had to remove the one off J10(blue) towards the rear ... and it worked in the 8 bit slot on the 286."
    • TVGA 9000C MKII - From modem7: Second version of 9000C - Jumper settings for 8-bit operation in manual [here] - Works in an 8-bit slot in my IBM AT. Does not work in my IBM XT or in my XT clone.
    • TVGA 9000I - Manual [here] indicates compatibility with "486, 386, 286 and PC compatibles" and that jumpers need to be changed for 8-bit operation.

TSENG

• ET4000 chipset XVGA based card from Focus Information Systems Inc. (autosense)
    • ET4000 chipset from Diamond Speedstar. (switches 1/3 off)

Western Digital

• Paradise VGA Professional Card (autosense, WD PVGA1B chipset)
    • Paradise 4088
    • Paradise 4089
    • Paradise88 VGA

Unknown Manufacter

• AVGA1 chipset, FCC NO:EUNLEOVGA-10710 (autosense)

Video Seven

[wiki]Category:ISA cards[/wiki]

In general Cirrus Logic CL-GD542x cards (including CL-GD5426) are not 8-bit ISA compatible. CL-GD522x cards normally use unlatched LA23-LA17 signals and BALE, and while it could be possible that LA19-LA17 can be substituted with latched SA19-SA17 address lines and LA23-LA20 simply grounded I never seen a card that does so.

I am using 8-bit OAK 037C with an IBM 5150 PC and an LG flat screen. Pictures of the 8-bit OAK 037c and many other cards can be found at http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/...6-oak-oti-037c. Dig around on that site for other cards. Information can also be found at http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/. The OAK 037C has 4 dip switches. Anyone know what they do?

You can add whatever this card is to the list.
    h8003-10
    35 2383 21
    702388b

Has a AMI BIOS. Anyone know what it is?

I have a Major in Post-Apocalyptic Economics.

Quote Originally Posted by offensive_Jerk View Post
    You can add whatever this card is to the list.
    h8003-10
    35 2383 21
    702388b

Has a AMI BIOS. Anyone know what it is?
    I see it's an *8-bit* card and this list is for *16-bit* cards that work in computers that only have 8-bit slots, e.g., PC or XT.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I see it's an *8-bit* card and this list is for *16-bit* cards that work in computers that only have 8-bit slots, e.g., PC or XT.
    Oh,whoops.I just followed the link. I thought it was just for any VGA cards that worked.

I have an Octek EVGA-16 REV 2.1 VGA card that works fine in my XT. It uses a Chips & Technologies chipset (82C451) and has a 451 VGA BIOS.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Just tested this Western Digital Paradise VGA Plus in my spare 5150 board. I removed the V20 CPU and threw in the 8088 from my PCjr to ensure compatibility. I didn't touch the dip switches but it worked in a 286 machine too without any adjustment.
    http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics...-VGA-PLUS.html

dipswitch

working with a lcd

I've extensively used a Video 7 VGA 1024i (Headland Technologies based) and an MCT-VGA-16 (Paradise based) in 8-bit slots and with 8088s.

For those looking specifically for a card that is known to work in an IBM 5150, see also the list at [here].