Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 8bit Friendly ISA VGA cards

Blog Entries

Now that you mention it, I'm skeptical of my own advice. Would a cable with, or without, the ID pin help?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Now that you mention it, I'm skeptical of my own advice. Would a cable with, or without, the ID pin help?
    Doing a quick search to remind myself I think the issue crops up if it thinks pin 12 is grounded, which it might look intermittently with the i2c connected to it. Getting rid of the connection should let it float high.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

3. Default

I guess I am in a quandary here as to understand what is connected to pin 12 that requires it to be grounded?

Quote Originally Posted by alejack12001 View Post
    I guess I am in a quandary here as to understand what is connected to pin 12 that requires it to be grounded?
    On old VGA cards there are several “sense lines” that the VGA card can read to see if they’re high or low, and from that tell what kind of monitor is attached. As I said above, these lines were later reused to implement the Digital Display Channel method of communicating monitor capabilities, and a side effect of this is VGA cards that predate it sometimes erroneously think a monochrome monitor is connected. Pin 12 should *not* be grounded unless you have a mono monitor; the DDC line new monitors connect to 12 carried binary data and thus can intermittently look like a ground.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

So, in other words, that pin should be removed from the cable on the side connected to the VGA card and the card should detect the monitor as color.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

6. Default

First, I will cut the 12th pin as recommended and see what happens. I'll keep you all posted.

I would like to ask for some help in setting up a Vintage Pentium 3 slot 1 motherboard (MB) that I recently acquired from eBay. I am having problems determining who manufactured this board and where I might acquire a user’s manual; I did query the forum and sort of came up dry.

Spec's I got from the MB is as follows:

Model Number: DR737
    Possible Serial Number/version: MB0001111-00213JM01 / E01
    Unknown Number: 9HT00201532 VER E01
    Barcode: 100010194
    BIOS: Presto 2.4

I have included two pictures of the MB with this post. According to what is printed on the MB, the manufacturer could be Micron or BCM or GVC or a Chinese knock off. I don't know which. I asked the seller and he didn't know much either. The MB has a primary AGP 82443BX chip and VGA port embedded with the board as well as 2 PCI slots, a single 16-bit ISA slot, COMM 1 port as well as LPT 1, two USB 1, Midi db15, Line in, Sound out, and Mic port.

MB was sold to me as Pentium 3 slot 1. I had an older Pentium 3 slot 1 processor that I was going to set up as a helper computer to communicate via serial to my AT&T as well as test out an XT-CF card that I bought from Sergey during the summer to replace my Perstor card and MFM drives. The XT-CF didn't work on the AT&T; it never got past POST whether the BIOS on the card was enabled or not. I wrote Sergey, who thought it was a cold solder joint. I didn't find any using a VOM to test each point. I wanted to test it on this Pentium 3 machine using the 16-bit ISA slot. I plan to boot off 60 GB HD IDE. I don't know what OS to use as yet.

What I really need to know is how to configure for the BUS/CPU speed. There is a set of jumpers on the MB located between external connectors and the CPU capacitors near slot 1. According to what is printed on the MB the JP1 is currently set with pins 1&2 and 7&8 as OFF; pins 3&4 and 5&6 as jumped or ON, which according to the matrix on the MB is set to 4.5, whatever that means. In addition, printed on the MB near the J29 is a listing for Bus Spd, which states 100 MHz represents the jumper at J29 being not jumped or OFF and 66 MB was for jumped or ON. So, I believe the BUS is 100MHz and I am guessing this is for the video bus; I don't know.

There are two DIMM memory slots. Not knowing the memory limits, I acquired two 256 MB DIMMS for the board 100 MHz each. Not having a user’s manual hampers my ability to stand up for this machine. Any help that you or your colleges could render would be greatly appreciated.micronbcm-dr737-slot-1-system-board.jpgMB4.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alejack12001 View Post
    I would like to ask for some help in setting up a Vintage Pentium 3 slot 1 motherboard (MB) that I recently acquired from eBay.
    It's bad form to mix topics in a targeted thread. You should start a new thread in an appropriate forum for this request. Pentiums (first generation) would be appropriate, I think: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisp...st-generation)
    Offering a bounty for:

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    It's bad form to mix topics in a targeted thread. You should start a new thread in an appropriate forum for this request. Pentiums (first generation) would be appropriate, I think: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/forumdisp...st-generation)
    Ok, Thank you for the advice.

9. Default

I wanted to give you all an update regarding the posting conducted last summer with the Paradise video card and the color situation that was discssed. The removale of the 12th pin on the VGA cable was unsucessful. The tests conducted using the checkit still seem to revert back to B&W when the various color tests such as the Text Colors Test (Mode 03h). I suspect the Paradise Card is not very good, which has been the problem from the get go.