Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8bit Friendly ISA VGA cards

I got a Paradise PVGA1A 8-bit ISA card, which works fine in my IBM PC/XT 5160 (and Commodore PC20-III, but that should be less surprising).
    Last edited by Scali; April 13th, 2015 at 06:33 AM.

Hello,

I just tried an ATI MACH32 16 bit on my Tandy 1000 TX and it seems to work fine. In the past, I also had the occasion to try a Realtek RTG 3106 and it was also working fine as far as I can remember.

Any 8Bit or 16Bit VGA-Cards known that offer a Serial-, a PS/2 or a Busmouse-Connector?
    (thoght about using it in the PC side of an A2000 with a Bridgeboard AA286)

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zeissler View Post
    Any 8Bit or 16Bit VGA-Cards known that offer a Serial-, a PS/2 or a Busmouse-Connector?
    (thoght about using it in the PC side of an A2000 with a Bridgeboard AA286)
    Some ATi cards, such as the ATi VGA Wonder 16, have a bus mouse connector.
    See here for a list: https://sites.google.com/site/atiwonderseriesdatabase/

Pretty much any retail version of the VGA Wonder, Mach 8, Mach32, and Mach 64 DRAM had the bus mouse connector.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Hi,

Today i tested some ISA-16 videocards with Juko ST XT turbo board with NEC V20 and 8088 CPUs. I tried Trident TVGA8900D, Trident TVGA9000C and Realtek RT3105E. Both Trident's card without success. With TVGA9000C i tried to change the video-BIOS from version 4.3 to 4.5 without positive result. Also i tried change "Slow mode address detect"/"Fast mode address detect", "Standart BIOS wait states"/"Extended BIOS wait states" hardware config with help pull-down resistors. No result. Work perfect in 386 board ISA-8 slot and don't working at XT board at all. I don't know which differences...

So, Realtek RT3105E video-card work good in XT isa-8 bit slot. No jumpers on the board, full auto-detect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
    Work perfect in 386 board ISA-8 slot and don't working at XT board at all. I don't know which differences...
    Makes you wonder... Perhaps it uses 286+ instructions in its BIOS code?
    That's the only logical explanation I can think of, if it works in an 8-bit slot on a 386.

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    Makes you wonder... Perhaps it uses 286+ instructions in its BIOS code?
    That's the only logical explanation I can think of, if it works in an 8-bit slot on a 386.
    Unfortunately, i don't think so... I tried load trident BIOS on the 8088 emulator (PCEm) and its worked wery well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronix View Post
    Unfortunately, i don't think so... I tried load trident BIOS on the 8088 emulator (PCEm) and its worked wery well.
    I've seen plenty of code that works fine in emulators, but was completely broken on real hardware
    PCem doesn't simulate the FPU interface of an 8088/8086 properly, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    I've seen plenty of code that works fine in emulators, but was completely broken on real hardware
    PCem doesn't simulate the FPU interface of an 8088/8086 properly, for example.
    Yep, i know but it is not suitable for the current situation. I do some experements: i modify Super PC/XT BIOS, part checking ROM-extensions and their checksums. I added sound notification long beep-short beep-long beep if add-rom bios checksum failed:

Code:
    	call	checksum_entry			; Find ROM checksum
    	;jnz	@@bad_rom			;   bad ROM
    jz load_rom
    	push bx
    	mov	bl, 2				;   long beep
    	call	beep
    	mov	bl, 1				;   short beep
    	call	beep
    	mov	bl, 2				;   long beep
    	call	beep
    	pop bx
               jmp @@bad_rom         ; go away
    load_rom:
    and... i listen long-short-long beep when Trident card inserted into my XT board.. So, main BIOS found 0x55AAh add-rom signature but other bytes corrupted and checksum failed. Then I have tried dump data from C000 segment over COM-port (because i don't look anything on the screen) with help Int 14h interrupt:
    Code:
    ;	mov ah,00h 
    ;	mov al,0E3h 	;9600,8N1
    ;	mov dx,0
    ;	int 14h    

;	mov ax,0c000h              ;video BIOS seg
    ;	mov ds,ax

;	mov ah,1
    ;	mov al,'O'
    ;	mov dx,0
    ;	int 14h
    ;	mov ah,1
    ;	mov al,'K'
    ;	mov dx,0
    ;	int 14h                        ;send "OK"

;	mov cx,08000h             ;32kb
    ;	xor si,si                       ;offset = 0
    ;loop_out:
    ;	lodsb
    ;	mov ah,1
    ;	mov dx,0
    ;	push cx
    ;	int 14h
    ;	pop cx
    ;	loop loop_out
    but failed again - through the terminal i don't see anything. I am using "new" multi-io card based on Winbond W83758 chip with FIFO and other "new" features. I think that's the case.

In any case, the problem seems hardware.