Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8bit Friendly ISA VGA cards

Today i booted system with CGA video card and non-working VGA Trident TVGA9000C card together. I was able to dump ROM bios from C000h segment to disk and copmpare it with original BIOS. Dump similar to original BIOS but contain 0xFF bytes at random locations. Every time when i make new dump 0xFF bytes changed locations. I am not discovered dependings. Random places, random 0xFF bytes. Of course, calculated checksum of dump never matches to checksum of original ROM. So, i think it's totaly hardware problem around TVGA8900D and TVGA9000C chips. Maybe, to remedy the situation the presence of buffer like 74LS245 on the data bus, i am not sure...

hello
    dont know if this card is the most advanced 8bit card ? .. i dont know if it demands 386 or do run in 8088 PC's ??
    seems like a 8/16bit bios switch , but do data transfer also run in 8 bit ?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Number-Nine-...-/351704210182

I am saving money, and going to outbid on this auction.
    /cimonvg

3. Default

I just tried an ATI MACH32 16 bit on my Tandy 1000 TX and it seems to work fine.

I have a Trident with the TVGA9000i-3 chipset. It has an 8 bit/16 bit jumpers, but definitely it doesn't work neither in my 5160, nor in my XT clone, 8088 based.

I tried D4.01E and D3.51 firmware, no changes. The computer seems to boot, but there's no output signal (monitor goes into stand-by mode).

Hi guys .

This vga card has cl gd5401 cirrus logic ic ,but does all with this ic work on any 8 bit isa xt machine?

http://www.recycledgoods.com/media/c...-card-4.39.jpg

And do i need drives on dos boot or is it plug n play?

Best REgards

JOSÉ

Blog Entries

The very first post of this thread lists the chipset, so it might work.

All ISA VGA cards do not require drivers to work for booting and normal DOS usage.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Another one for the list

http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/...3-hmc-hm86314q

Hualon Microelectronics HM86314Q

it even has drivers for Windows 286/386 2.1!!!

as you can see IMG_20170212_202107.jpg

For all Olivetti M24 machines; even when jumpering both the P8 board and the mainboard to disable onboard, some cards that have compatibility like the VGA Wonder XL will simply freeze the machine with nothing to display.

SpeedStar 24X with the "16-bit" BIOS access jumper disabled (set open) will make the machine boot, but no video is shown. I'm not even sure if that card is 8-bit compatible at all, actually.
    Join the penny pincher army today!

Confirmed cards with no absolute compatibility for the Olivetti M24 in any way; SpeedStar 24X, Paradise VGA 16, ATI VGA Wonder XL, and the later ISA Dolch PitViper models. Even if the machine can POST and boot, you can indicate whether the video card is actually found if there is a beep after all the startup tests have succeeded.
    Join the penny pincher army today!

Blog Entries

I used a Tsenglabs ET4000-based VGA card on my AT&T 6300 for a time.

I tend to go by chipset rather than brand. It's less confusing that way.