Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 8bit Friendly ISA VGA cards

Quote Originally Posted by Kazblox View Post
    Confirmed cards with no absolute compatibility for the Olivetti M24 in any way; SpeedStar 24X, Paradise VGA 16, ATI VGA Wonder XL, and the later ISA Dolch PitViper models. Even if the machine can POST and boot, you can indicate whether the video card is actually found if there is a beep after all the startup tests have succeeded.
    You might be able to get the VGA Wonder XL to work actually. If you put it in another computer that it works in, there's a configuration utility on the original driver disk that sets the bit width of the IO and ROM BIOS of the card. I wonder if that would help, it did with my model 25. It saves that data into NVRAM on the card.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Trident TVGA8900* and TVGA9000* cards will not work in the original IBM PC, the original IBM XT, and some clones. This is because these cards rely on ALE signal to latch the memory address, and the IBM PC/XT boards have a bad habit of pulsing ALE signal during DMA cycles (including memory refresh cycles), while DMA provides the address on the ISA bus. The issue, and the workaround are documented in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
    I just tried an ATI MACH32 16 bit on my Tandy 1000 TX and it seems to work fine.
    I just tried a Mach32 in my Tandy 1000 TX, and it... also seems to work fine. Wow, cool. Thanks for the tip.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by sergey View Post
    Trident TVGA8900* and TVGA9000* cards will not work in the original IBM PC, the original IBM XT, and some clones. This is because these cards rely on ALE signal to latch the memory address, and the IBM PC/XT boards have a bad habit of pulsing ALE signal during DMA cycles (including memory refresh cycles), while DMA provides the address on the ISA bus. The issue, and the workaround are documented in this thread.
    And, the simple workaround is to disconnect ALE signal going from the ISA bus to TVGA chip (e.g. cut the trace on the Trident VGA board), and connect it to the +5V power supply.

While troubleshooting some XT-IDE issues, I discovered that a Everex EV628 Viewpoint works like a charm.

I have a 8088 PC (XT clone) and a Trident 8900C.

I get video, but always get 'Keyboard error' and my AT keyboard stops working.

When I plug back in the Paradise CGA card they keyboard works once more.

Was just curious if anyone else has experienced this, or had any suggestions. Thanks!

7. Default

I also get keyboard error. What is the solution?