Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Mystery Tandy 1000 Model

Default Value of a Tandy 1000 AX?

I'm in the process of moving and found a Tandy 1000 AX in my collection of stuff. I'm too busy to mess with putting it on eBay right now. I really don't want to move this with me unless it has any real value. I understand it's quite rare but that doesn't necessarily mean valuable... Any idea what it might be worth? I'm thinking I might put it on Craigslist and see if there is any interest. All I have is the CPU - no monitor, keyboard, etc.
    Last edited by jaysmith; November 11th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    The differences between the 1000 and 1000A are entirely internal with some obvious ones, the latter has a socket for a math coprocessor, and some not so obvious, technical issues fixed and newer BIOS rom that scans for ROM extensions on expansion cards (bootable hard disks!).
    That last part is not true. I have an original Tandy 1000, with ROM version 01.00.00 dated 1984, and it works perfectly with XT hard drive controllers like the Seagate ST-11M/R. Right after the memory check, it starts the hard drive controller's ROM -- still in 40-column mode, so it looks a bit messy on the screen, but it works!

I remember the 1000 AX, it was made by Tandy, for a test market, in Walmart or other discount stores.
    I worked/managed Radio Shack stores from the early 80's until about 1992. We didn't like the 1000 AX.

Our store was in a strip mall and at the end was a Walmart. Customers would come into the Shack and
    pick our brains, then run down and buy the AX. After the sale they would come to us for support, but
    rarely would buy products and upgrades. Back then, computer sales were our bread and butter so most
    of my sales guys didn't like a lost sale to Walmart. Thankfully it didn't last for very long...

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    That last part is not true. I have an original Tandy 1000, with ROM version 01.00.00 dated 1984, and it works perfectly with XT hard drive controllers like the Seagate ST-11M/R. Right after the memory check, it starts the hard drive controller's ROM -- still in 40-column mode, so it looks a bit messy on the screen, but it works!
    I stand corrected. Further info : the Tandy 1000 FAQ has the details. The ADP-50L w/2.18T will allow a drive to boot in an original 1000, as well as the Acculogic 1/16 with the IRQ trace re-routed. Apparently the BIOS on your Seagate controller compensates for the DMA issue with BIOS 01.00.00.

Quote Originally Posted by litterbox99 View Post
    I remember the 1000 AX, it was made by Tandy, for a test market, in Walmart or other discount stores.
    I worked/managed Radio Shack stores from the early 80's until about 1992. We didn't like the 1000 AX.

Our store was in a strip mall and at the end was a Walmart. Customers would come into the Shack and
    pick our brains, then run down and buy the AX. After the sale they would come to us for support, but
    rarely would buy products and upgrades. Back then, computer sales were our bread and butter so most
    of my sales guys didn't like a lost sale to Walmart. Thankfully it didn't last for very long...
    Very valuable insight. Did Wal-Mart shave $100 off the price or have a nice monitor/printer bundle?
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

It seems like a strange idea for Tandy to try to sell the 1000 series at other retailers, because compared to normal PC clones (like Tandy's own XT-clone 1200HD), the 1000 series was very much proprietary and was designed to rely upon Radio Shack's own peripherals, accessories, and parts for upgrades and repairs. Even something as simple as a printer cable was a special type that the other retailer would need to stock alongside the generic IBM/clone equivalent.

Blog Entries

You're right about the printer 1000 series printer cable. The keyboard and joy stick was sort of out in left field too. However, you could throw just about any short 8-bit card in the thing and expect it to work, including EGA & VGA. So I wouldn't classify it as strictly proprietary in the same vein as the Micro Channel.

I want to know the BIOS version of Tandy 1000AX.
    01.02.00 or other?

Sorry I've not gotten back with you on your requests for BIOS info. Most of my Tandy's are (unfortunately) stored in an outside shed at the moment. Once the weather breaks just a little bit more, I'll see what I can do about getting the info you are asking for. Please shoot me a PM with exactly what you are looking for and how to get it (and for what models you want it from) and I'll see what I can do...

Wesley

Has anyone come across a Tandy 1000SL/E? Apparently the "E" was a special model for the education market -- maybe pre-packaged with an Apple II emulator card, which was a popular option for Tandys sold to schools. It is mentioned in a few Radio Shack documents:

http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc16/16799.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Great Hierophant View Post
    ?.......The differences between the 1000 and 1000A are entirely internal with some obvious ones, the latter has a socket for a math coprocessor, and some not so obvious, technical issues fixed and newer BIOS rom that scans for ROM extensions on expansion cards (bootable hard disks!). .........
    I can guarantee that you DO NOT need a 1000A or the 01.01.00 BIOS to boot from a HDD, I have both machines.

Internally the main differences are that the A only has a double sided PCB and not multilayer whilst GAL's were employed to reduce the chip count and board complexity.
    My Wish List: Vintage Mac SCSI->ETHERNET DaynaPORT LINK T DP0801 Manual, Make-It 486 (or other) 80286 upgrades, Hallock Systems gear / disk images, Copy II PC 'Enhanced' Option Board, Earth Computers ISA Z80 cards & TurboDOS disk. TRS-80 Model IV TurboDOS, Pulsar Little Big Board gear, Tandy Videotext Information System (VIS) for Model 16 Xenix