Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM PS/2 Model 25

Default IBM PS/2 Model 25

DSCN0440.JPG
    System Specs:
    Intel 8086 CPU running at 8mhz
    512 or 640k RAM
    Single or Dual 720k 3.5" Floppy drives
    Optional 20mb Hard disk (supposedly ST506 signaling on proprietary connector on planar)
    MCGA Graphics with 12" CRT
    2 ISA Slots (8-bit)

The hard disks that were used in these commonly fail and most users would install some kind of Hard Card, SCSI card, or IDE card for connecting more common hard drives.

Another useful upgrade is to replace the Intel 8086 with an NEC V30, this should allow the computer to run Windows 3.0 with the VGA driver, as well as SOME other applications that would normally require an 80286, as the V30 has SOME (but not all) of the 286 instructions. It will also boost 8086 native code execution speed approximately 5% due to being able to execute some operations in one clock cycle that would take a native 8086 multiple clock cycles to complete. Contrary to what the Windows 3.0 setup says, the MCGA driver works fine on the 8086 CPU.

I have a correction for this article. The v30 will allow windows 3.0 to load a VGA driver, the mcga driver works on the 8086 too.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I have a correction for this article. The v30 will allow windows 3.0 to load a VGA driver, the mcga driver works on the 8086 too.
    The install of Windows 3.0 I did on mine, the MCGA driver said (286 only) or something similar right after it, so I assumed it wouldn't load on a stock 8086.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

I'm fairly certain it's referring to the vga driver.

I may be wrong though, but I faintly remember it was that if you were on a stock 8086 driver, you would get 1-bit monochrome mcga.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

I'm fairly certain it's referring to the vga driver.

I may be wrong though, but I faintly remember it was that if you were on a stock 8086 driver, you would get 1-bit monochrome mcga.
    I have no take on if it REALLY works this way, but I just confirmed it CLAIMS to require a 286 for MCGA, here is the screen shot on the PS/2-25
    DSCN0458.jpg

Hmm, I wonder now.. Maybe I am wrong. Seems odd though, cause windows 2 works in VGA on the 8086. I remember I bought the v30 for something, maybe it was this.

Hmm, I wonder now.. Maybe I am wrong. Seems odd though, cause windows 2 works in VGA on the 8086. I remember I bought the v30 for something, maybe it was this.
    I have no doubt VGA mode in 3.0 probably requires it as well, I didn't check since its not relevant to my Model 25, but it clearly states it needs 286 on the setup, I didn't try it on the 8086, but the MCGA driver DOES work on the V30, I have still not been successful loading 3.0 on it yet, but it does get as far as the GUI portion and the driver loads, my install is failing about 40% on copying files, its hard-locking. I think its the hard drive, but time will tell when I try a different drive.

Yea, I use Windows 3.0 on mine, with a V30, running the MCGA driver (also works with a VGA card too on the VGA driver). I have many videos showing it off. So it does work, that's for sure.

I can't test the 8086 though, as my hard drive requires a 286 :P

Got Windows 3.0 working finally, I ended up finding the NYB virus on the old HardCard 20 I have in my Model 25, I wiped the drive clean, fdisked and reformatted and I was finally able to get windows installed and running. Sadly now I have run into problems with MSNET software, it requires a 286, and the V30 isn't providing enough of the instruction set to satisfy it, so it looks like I will never be mapping to network drives on this one. Question now is, do I keep the NIC in it and use mTCP for FTP file transfers forgoing direct drive letter mapping, OR pull the NIC and install the TMC-850IBM SCSI card I have and work on getting a Jaz/Zip drive and maybe even a CD-ROM going on it (The SCSI option I may be able to pull the HardCard and pickup a SCSI hard drive to rig up internally somehow, and keep both NIC and SCSI).

I'd stick with Ethernet and go network.