Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM PS/2 Model 25

You are missing a few things
    1) shipped with IBM-branded Windows 1.04 "Collegiate Kit" software option
    2) 80C86 processor not 8086 - right?
    3) did not have actual ST506 hard drives, too physically large!
    4) choice of color or greyscale video

lastly, why does a wiki have opinions in it? More facts, less off the top of the head stuff, k?
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Quote Originally Posted by billdeg View Post
    You are missing a few things
    1) shipped with IBM-branded Windows 1.04 "Collegiate Kit" software option
    2) 80C86 processor not 8086 - right?
    3) did not have actual ST506 hard drives, too physically large!
    4) choice of color or greyscale video

lastly, why does a wiki have opinions in it? More facts, less off the top of the head stuff, k?
    1. May have, not sure.
    2. No, mine was an 8086, Maybe later ones switched?
    3. ST506 signaling on proprietary cable interface for proprietary drive (and this is just gleaned from other sources, could be something completely different, one site lists as ST506 compatible interface, not confirmed, maybe youre right and this should be left out since its not for sure)
    4. You could be right, color may have been an option in the 8086 config, the "Model 25-286" were common in color, and the 8086 were typically grayscale, but could have been available in color as well, this article should probably be renamed PS/2 "Model 25-XT" or "Model 25-8086" as other than case design they are very different from their Model 25-286 namesakes)
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

I worked at IBM in 1987 when the PS/2 line was launched. The PS/2 25 was officially the model 8525. All Wiki entries on this system should have only proper model numbers. I don't suggest you make up new model names as this is supposed to be an authoratative source of factual information.

I believe you should get all of the details from an official source, not me, and not copy and paste from the other Wikis on the web. For example the processor I am *pretty sure* is 80C86. I will have to crack one open to verify if you have no other source for this info. The Wiki's have no/few references to the fact that this was the computer that came with IBM branded Windows 1.0. I think the 8525 was the first IBM computer sold with IBM branded Windows.

WHen I got my model 25 in 1987 (employee discount) I had the choice between MCGA greyscale or color.
    Last edited by billdeg; September 15th, 2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: flounder it's now rose hop drag hamper
    @ BillDeg:
    Unauthorized Bio

I worked at IBM in 1987 when the PS/2 line was launched. The PS/2 25 was officially the model 8525. All Wiki entries on this system should have only proper model numbers. I don't suggest you make up new model names as this is supposed to be an authoratative source of factual information
    Change it then, its a wiki, thats the nice thing about them the community can change them...

I believe you should get all of the details from an official source, not me, and not copy and paste from the other Wikis on the web. For example the processor I am *pretty sure* is 80C86. I will have to crack one open to verify if you have no other source for this info. The Wiki's have no/few references to the fact that this was the computer that came with IBM branded Windows 1.0. I think the 8525 was the first IBM computer sold with IBM branded Windows.
    There is no available official source, goes back to my first comment, if you think its wrong, its a wiki, change it...
    Also the Model 25's were all called model 8525 regardless of 8086, 286, color, etc, so going by the proper model number doesn't help differentiate between the different ones either, most sites out there refer to them as the Model 25-XT and Model 25-286 since they were both called model 8525.
    WHen I got my model 25 in 1987 (employee discount) I had the choice between MCGA greyscale or color. MCGA is not "CGA" it's
    Not sure where you were going with that, but I never said it was CGA, the wiki says MCGA.

EDIT: My opinion anyways is, as long as the info isn't blatantly wrong, I think a minimal and speculating (as long as its stated its speculated, like I did saying the HD interface is "SUPPOSEDLY ST506 SIGNALING") wiki article is better than NO wiki article.
    Last edited by RWallmow; September 15th, 2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added my opinion and added to model confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by RWallmow View Post
    Change it then, its a wiki, thats the nice thing about them the community can change them...

There is no available official source, goes back to my first comment, if you think its wrong, its a wiki, change it...
    Also the Model 25's were all called model 8525 regardless of 8086, 286, color, etc, so going by the proper model number doesn't help differentiate between the different ones either, most sites out there refer to them as the Model 25-XT and Model 25-286 since they were both called model 8525.

Not sure where you were going with that, but I never said it was CGA, the wiki says MCGA.

EDIT: My opinion anyways is, as long as the info isn't blatantly wrong, I think a minimal and speculating (as long as its stated its speculated, like I did saying the HD interface is "SUPPOSEDLY ST506 SIGNALING") wiki article is better than NO wiki article.
    OK...I will put my money where my mouth is and try to help provide what details I have. I still have most of the orig. docs, etc.
    BIll
    @ BillDeg:
    Unauthorized Bio

For anyone interested, I checked and the original CPU from MY particular PS/2-25 was an 8086, not 80c86, not trying to say either myself or billdeg is right or wrong, IBM could have used both in the several year run of the Model 25, or mine could have been swapped by a previous owner, who knows.

Photo of my CPU:

I have both the late model 25's (early 90's) and early model 25 motherboards, neither use 80c86, always used a full size 8086..

The 8086 models DID come in both greyscale and color. I used to have the color model before the PSU fried. It was only worth it in 320x200 though as 640x480 usually was black and white (unless a program changed the 1-bit palette).
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

I have no take on if it REALLY works this way, but I just confirmed it CLAIMS to require a 286 for MCGA, here is the screen shot on the PS/2-25
    Attachment 6460
    I have been able to finally test this.

The 8086 CAN run the MCGA driver just fine. It's the VGA driver it can't.. I was right all along, and Microsoft was wrong on their own drivers.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

IBM 8525s did come in color configurations. I have one:

IMG_0293 v2.jpg

For anyone interested, I checked and the original CPU from MY particular PS/2-25 was an 8086, not 80c86, not trying to say either myself or billdeg is right or wrong, IBM could have used both in the several year run of the Model 25, or mine could have been swapped by a previous owner, who knows.
    I was wrong there is no 80c86.

I took a few apart. There seems to have been two major revs of this system. Both 8086s
    @ BillDeg:
    Unauthorized Bio