Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows for Pen for Compaq Concerto.

Default Windows for Pen for Compaq Concerto.

I own a Compaq Concerto which i bought without any disks and was hoping to find them online but I can only find them for some GRiD systems ("GRiD Model 2260" & "GRiD PadSL Model 2050").

The disks must contain one or more files with "cpqvpen.*" as the name.

Compaq provides an update but that only contain "cpqvpen.386" which solves some glitches...

I hope someone can point me in the right direction or can provide me images (*.IMA) of the original disks. Or maybe someone will sell the original disks.

No one can help me with this? I would like to use my Compaq Concerto as it should...

Got Windows 95 working with the PEN (so the PEN is in working order) but I want to have Windows 3.1x because that's the OS for the Concerto in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Hey, one of these threads.
    I asked the exact same question earlier this year with limited success. Turns out that Pen Computing for Windows 3.1 is totally OEM and thus even if you install it on the Concerto you will require the penabled display driver as well which because it's OEM is not included. Pen computing will also disable pen support if you use a non-penabled display driver.
    I have the exact same problem with a GRiD convertable and a Thinkpad 730TE as well. You can't do a thing with pen computing under windows 3.1 unless you have te specific penabled display driver.
    = Excellent space heater

NeXT, I know that... Before I bought the Compaq Concerto I was happy that I found the drivers so easily but when I tried the found drivers but it came out that the drivers I found were for NCR, GRiD, Samsung, Toshiba and Wacom tablet models... None of them are usable for Compaq since the lack of the correct drivers.

Still, there driver installations are a good start for turning them into installations for the Compaq Concerto but without the right drivers and settings we're nowhere...

I hope to have Windows for PEN Computing 1.0 running as soon as possible because since I got Windows 95 perfectly running on it I did nothing with the Concerto since I like Windows 3.x much more...

Blog Entries

the Concerto is definately a 3.1 system anyways. I would assume that 95 is a touch slow.
    Where did you find the GRiD drivers? I would be interested if that was shared.
    = Excellent space heater

I found them thanks to some one on another forum. If you PM me your e-mail adres (preferably a GMail address or something else which has a large inbox) I can send Windows for PEN Computing versions I have to you.

Are you also interested in PEN Services 2.0? I have them for Fujitsu and Compaq (the last one is a copy from the HP/Compaq FTP but turned into a *.IMA file)

Windows 95 is running pretty good, in fact it is perfectly usable! I don't know how it is with the 25MHz model but my 33MHz can run it very well. The only problem with it is that it's not Windows 3.1... For the time Windows 95 was a BIG step forward to Windows 3.x but I still like Windows 3.1 way more that Windows 95. Some other thing you could see as a problem is the fact that Windows 3.x is usable with a monochrome screen but in my opinion Windows 95 is not.

Still no luck in finding the drivers for the Concerto... If someone has the floppy's and could image them I like to hear! If someone has a Concerto in working condition I like to hear also, maybe you can provide me the files I need...

Blog Entries

Still no luck? Man. They ahve to be out there somewhere.
    = Excellent space heater

These are claimed to be the right disks but may be crap. You could call the tech support number and interrogate somebody before you spend $29.99.
    http://recovery-disks.com/compaq-con...k-pc-4-25.html

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Still no luck? Man. They ahve to be out there somewhere.
    I thought that also but when I ask someone he/she has not the ability to get the files off the Concerto or the Concerto runs another OS (W95 or Linux) and the owner just don't have the disks anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by GottaLottaStuff View Post
    These are claimed to be the right disks but may be crap. You could call the tech support number and interrogate somebody before you spend $29.99.
    http://recovery-disks.com/compaq-con...k-pc-4-25.html
    I want to pay for original disks and even that amount of money but the site itself and the fact there is no photo of what you buy it smells like (in my opinion) counterfeiting ans scam. Maybe I'm totally wrong but that's just the feeling I have with a site like this one...