Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody using a Pentium prior to the 133?

Blog Entries

Default Anybody using a Pentium prior to the 133?

From what I remember the Pentium took off (home use) around the time the P133 was released, before that systems were kind of pricey and people were still using high end cheap 486's. The older models (especially the 60/66) were not that common and judging by what I had seen at recyclers most pentium systems were 166 and 233MMX with a few Cyrix in the mix.

So how many people actually have the older models in their collection (machines not just CPU) and what do you use them for if anything?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I have a Pentium-90 that I use occasionally. Big nearly indestructible Micron tower which stores lots of spare parts with PCI, EISA, SCSI for a good system to test old hardware. I used over the past few weeks for the identification and reading of floppy disks. It is unfortunate that I haven't been able to find a very cheap source of a second CPU because sometimes OS/2 SMP seems like something fun to try.

I don't have a "system" but one of my two main DOS boxes has a P60 gold top. I had originally used that MB and chip because I thought it would work w/o a CPU fan (my P133 does just fine), but it's a bit flaky without the tiny fan (no heat sink) that I added.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I don't have a "system" but one of my two main DOS boxes has a P60 gold top. I had originally used that MB and chip because I thought it would work w/o a CPU fan (my P133 does just fine), but it's a bit flaky without the tiny fan (no heat sink) that I added.
    I never seen a heatsink/fan combination on a P60/P66 they seem to use a glued on huge heatsink for cooling. I wonder if Pentium 1 heatsink/fans are going to get rare (have a few new ones in stock).

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I never seen a heatsink/fan combination on a P60/P66 they seem to use a glued on huge heatsink for cooling. I wonder if Pentium 1 heatsink/fans are going to get rare (have a few new ones in stock).
    Lots of nice gold tops which look great, were ruined by those glue-ons from what I've seen.

I recently installed Windows 98SE on my Pentium 75 with 16 MB memory. It was painful both to install and use. Actually that one is better off in MS-DOS land, and I should rather save Win98 for my stripped Pentium 200MMX.
    Anders Carlsson

My personal mail handling computer is a Pentium 90. It replaced my 486 machine when that one's scsi board failed and took the motherboard with it. It runs and runs. Current uptime 441 days.
    Disks are even older than the original 486 (1990 and 1991, the oldest scsi disk from 1989 finally gave up a while ago).

-Tor

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    I recently installed Windows 98SE on my Pentium 75 with 16 MB memory. It was painful both to install and use. Actually that one is better off in MS-DOS land, . . .
    Indeed, I think it's the perfect machine for DOS.

I wonder how many were made. The OP is probably right though, the 133 is when things took off judging by how few 60 or 75mhz machines are around.

We did have a Pentium 75 somewhere at work at one time. Maybe several. They've probably been dumped a long time ago. The Pentium 90 box I've stacked away in a corner to be my mail server is probably the only Pentium left in the building.

-Tor

Blog Entries

90's are not that common either, people hated the 75's because they were slow (50x1.5 FSB).