Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Matrox E-VDP

Blog Entries

So it appears that the -12v issue was really a shorted cap that just was not blowing up so that was removed and things were rolling again until the POST card started hitting 0b and then would not POST at all.
    I then traced the problem down to the same connector block. This time I had to disconnect the PG pin. The system seems to behave okay without it and I'm not sure if I should continue using the system when the PG pin is obviously causing a problem.

Meanwhile, I still can't figure out what the POST codes are for an AMI ISA BIOS. I'm hitting code 30 which on some other BIOS codes mean I'm hitting the VGA but I'm not getting anything out of the VGA.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

30 Ready to start the virtual mode memory test

http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/amibios.htm#
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I'm assuming it hanging on that means it's outright failing what little memory the system has, correct?
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Could be bad RAM. Is the CMOS battery good?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

No. the 3.6v lithium battery pack is very dead.
    As for memory there is almost literally no memory at all.
    The SBC contains four TMS44C256-10N DRAM chips and four LH2464-12 DRAM chips and that's it. They are also soldered down, not socketed.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    No. the 3.6v lithium battery pack is very dead.
    As for memory there is almost literally no memory at all.
    The SBC contains four TMS44C256-10N DRAM chips and four LH2464-12 DRAM chips and that's it. They are also soldered down, not socketed.
    In the photos it doesn't look like the battery leaked on the board or anything like that. I have known a few systems to not boot with bad batteries in them, rare, but not unheard of, maybe cut the battery off and solder some leads to the board and hook a 2xAA holder (or a new 3ish volt battery) up to it and see (I usually go with the 2xAA holder, and some nice lithium AA's).
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Hmm.. so did you shelve it again or ever get it working? To make life more interesting, I haven't verified mine (just recently moved it to storage and can't get to it right this minute) but I think I have one also. At least it looks the same and has the handle on the side. No clue if mine is working or has any drive/software though. I do believe it has some sorta of comment about belonging to the military (obviously it was decommissioned since then) so I'd be a bit surprised if the drive wasn't turned into liquid bits but I hadn't tried to take it apart yet.

I don't have any documentation other than I think the machine has some writing on it for instructions on how to use it. I sorta recall mine looking like it had 2 floppy drives though. Anyway, for what it's worth there's at least a 3rd that escaped the shredders.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

I remember seeing a few of these in a guy's garage. The guy had at least 2, maybe 3 but then scrapped them with the rest of his stuff If I knew that it was a laserdisc player on top and had a 286 SBC (for my Amiga 2000) I would've bought both! They may be floating around here still, since I have seen a few of his items at flea markets.

It seems like he had another system very similar to this except it was all black, but I could be thinking of something entirely different. I know it wasn't a Next Cube or that'd be in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    Hmm.. so did you shelve it again or ever get it working? To make life more interesting, I haven't verified mine (just recently moved it to storage and can't get to it right this minute) but I think I have one also. At least it looks the same and has the handle on the side. No clue if mine is working or has any drive/software though. I do believe it has some sorta of comment about belonging to the military (obviously it was decommissioned since then) so I'd be a bit surprised if the drive wasn't turned into liquid bits but I hadn't tried to take it apart yet.

I don't have any documentation other than I think the machine has some writing on it for instructions on how to use it. I sorta recall mine looking like it had 2 floppy drives though. Anyway, for what it's worth there's at least a 3rd that escaped the shredders.
    Are you the one who sent me the spammy looking blog comment about wanting to sell me one of these systems just a few hours before digging up this post, or is this just coincidence? IP traces back to someone from Texas, that and timing are the only reasons I ask, lol
    Last edited by RWallmow; July 23rd, 2013 at 08:35 AM.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

lol that's interesting but nope not from me. I'd be curious who it may have been though.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800