Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everex external tape drive, what controller?

Default Everex external tape drive, what controller?

Hi all,

I have this Everex external tape drive here... dunno what it is, but it's black with a grey cable and 62-pin connector. It uses DC60 tapes?? They look like old fashioned audio tapes and can hold 60MB.

Is there any way to determine what controller goes with the drive? Of course one of the Everex EV-??? series would be a good choice, but is it QIC-02 or QIC-36?

Dennis
    Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening. - Kevin Flynn

Blog Entries

afaik these drives used a specific driver and a specific controller card to go with them, I have a couple in a box somewhere, both different and sound different than yours, too. If I can I'll take a few pictures and post them up. Might take a while.

Wish I could help more. Time to research that drive.
    The ancients knew *more* than us...
    http://www.legendarytimes.com/forum/index.php They're baaaack!

Come and see http://www.gamegavel.com for all your gaming needs! We have Zero-ohm resistors!

Thanx for the reply,

I hope I can find out something about the drive or controller... Problem is, there's nothing on the drive like a serial number or model number. I only know it's a black external 60MB tape drive that uses those old DC60 "audio-tape-resembling" tapes to put up to 60MB on those tapes.

Googling doesn't get me any further either ("everex 60mb tape drive"). The only thing I can think of is that it either needs an EV-830 or EV-831 controller, since those are 62-pin tape controller boards made by Everex (there's also the EV-833 and I think that's the MCA version). Those boards have a 62-pin external connector, and are made by Everex. But I don't know if there's any risc in getting the wrong one connected. Like, does connecting a QIC-36 board to a QIC-02 drive (and vice versa) mess up the board/drive or does it just not work?

Or maybe it's got some proprietary tape standard? 62-pin connector with tape does get me some QIC-36 and QIC-02 results. It's strange I can't find anything online about these drives, since Everex tape drives were pretty common here in Holland BITD... not too expensive and pretty good quality (although Archive and Tandberg were the real thing).

The drive does look like this TEAC drive (pic stolen through google):
    mt2st.jpg

It looks exactly like this one, except for that it's in an external black case with a grey 62-pin cable attached to it...

Dennis
    Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening. - Kevin Flynn

Default Everex ISA controllers

The Everex controller boards are pretty much identical to boards designed by Wangtek.
    There are QIC-36 and QIC-02 versions. The QIC-02 is smaller and have fewer
    parts, since QIC-02 is a parallel interface similar to SCSI. Documents can be found
    at http://bitsavers.org/pdf/wangtek PC-36 and PC-02.

Has anyone ever figured out what the on tape format is created by the Everex EZtape software?

Blog Entries

Is EZtape an Everex thing or is it from Irwin?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Is EZtape an Everex thing or is it from Irwin?
    It was an Everex thing, with image and file backup options.

Blog Entries

Maybe it's something that Everex picked up--or we have a Python "Anything Goes" moment.

At any rate, here's Irwin's EZTape 1.14. Copyright between 1984-87, with a "Merk Hersey" Easter egg. I used this with an Irwin 225 drive (used 20MB DC1000 carts).

Quote Originally Posted by Denniske1976 View Post
    Hi all,

I have this Everex external tape drive here... dunno what it is, but it's black with a grey cable and 62-pin connector. It uses DC60 tapes?? They look like old fashioned audio tapes and can hold 60MB.

Is there any way to determine what controller goes with the drive? Of course one of the Everex EV-??? series would be a good choice, but is it QIC-02 or QIC-36?

Dennis
    I found this message, since I own the same 'Everex' tape drive. I picked it up years ago on a flea-market.
    Now I wonder where are they originally came from? I can not find any information on the web.

Any information on the source of this drive? Any chance of getting another one somewhere?

Thanks!

i have everex ev-831 tape controlleers on my website pcequip.com i have them new and used email me if you want one the software is not working correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Maybe it's something that Everex picked up--or we have a Python "Anything Goes" moment.

At any rate, here's Irwin's EZTape 1.14. Copyright between 1984-87, with a "Merk Hersey" Easter egg. I used this with an Irwin 225 drive (used 20MB DC1000 carts).
    Got a copy of this somewhere? Sydex no longer is with us...

--Fred