Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Need a Terminator Pack for a TRS 80 Model II

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    27,631
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Both versions of the FDC boards use the WD1791; the later board uses the WD1691 (20 pin DIP) and WD2143 (18 pin DIP) clock generator in addition, rather than a bunch of random logic. The two look like any other 20 pin/18 pin 0.300 DIP, so it's not obvious from a casual glance.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chandler, AZ, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster_in_Jax View Post
    Lorne,

    Do you have the TRS-80 Model II Technical Reference Manual? That and the Shugart SA800-801 OEM and Users Manual should have the info you need. They should be available online. If you have trouble finding them let me know.
    I have all those but unfortunately, that doesn't mean I always understand what I'm looking at.

    (Side note: I haven't been able to find the Model II - Tech Ref online anywhere - if it's there, please let me know as I was thinking of scanning the whole thing so it can be available to others, and I won't bother if it's already there).

    It gets screwy (for me anyway) in that the drive in the Model II is a Shugart SA-800, and the drive in the Disk Expansion Unit is a Magnetic Peripherals/Control Data 9404-B (info for which is also incl in the Tech Ref).
    I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to be using the terminating info for the Shugart or the Control Data drive. The Disk Expansion Unit section of the Tech Ref refers me to the Control Data schematics for the termination stuff.

    If it's a case of taking a 50 pin connector and soldering some resistors between certain pins, I can do that - I just can't figure out which pins the restistors should go between.

    (PS: I've scanned the Floppy Disk Controller section of the manual (and it's schematics) if anyone needs them).

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chandler, AZ, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Both versions of the FDC boards use the WD1791; the later board uses the WD1691 (20 pin DIP) and WD2143 (18 pin DIP) clock generator in addition, rather than a bunch of random logic. The two look like any other 20 pin/18 pin 0.300 DIP, so it's not obvious from a casual glance.

    I'm not seeing those on my board:

    FDC Board2.jpg

    So as usual, and pretty much like everything else I seem to get, I've got the one I'd really rather not have ???

  4. Default

    The early disk controller required a Terminator connected to the external disk drive connector if no expansion chassis was connected.

    I think this caused RS much grief as the "revised floppy disk controller" later released did not require the terminator.

    I had to dig to find my notes on the wiring for the connector... here they are

    Pin 4 connects to 40
    Pin 6 connects to 38
    pin 8 connects to 36
    pin 10 connect to 34

    Basically it loops signal lines back to terminator resistors on the internal disk drive. Without this "terminator", the disk drive chain would not be properly terminated.

    Odd numbered connections are grounded so you can use a 7 pin flat cable to wire the loopback to a 50 pin connector. (see attached .jpg photo)

    This loopback connector works fine on the one of my four model II's that uses the first generation floppy controller.

    Kevin

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    I'm in need of a terminator pack for a Model II.
    Its the thing that plugs into the back of the Model II where the Expansion Box cable would go, so that you can boot from the Model II without the Expansion Box.
    It would be a brown & black plastic thing approximately 4" long, 3/4" high, and 1 1/2" deep.

    Does anyone have one they don't need or would otherwise be willing to part with?

    I'll pay for it, trade something for it, whatever.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    Yes, that's, basically, what the terminator pack did, they just fabricated a simple circuit board and put it in a nice little case. I think they were about 50 bucks if you lost yours....
    Legacy Computers and Parts

    Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chandler, AZ, USA
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    I had to dig to find my notes on the wiring for the connector... here they are

    Pin 4 connects to 40
    Pin 6 connects to 38
    pin 8 connects to 36
    pin 10 connect to 34

    Basically it loops signal lines back to terminator resistors on the internal disk drive. Without this "terminator", the disk drive chain would not be properly terminated.

    Odd numbered connections are grounded so you can use a 7 pin flat cable to wire the loopback to a 50 pin connector. (see attached .jpg photo)

    This loopback connector works fine on the one of my four model II's that uses the first generation floppy controller.

    Kevin
    Perfect !

    Thank you Kevin.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    1,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    (Side note: I haven't been able to find the Model II - Tech Ref online anywhere - if it's there, please let me know as I was thinking of scanning the whole thing so it can be available to others, and I won't bother if it's already there).
    There are actually 2 Technical Manuals. One from 1980 and another from 1981. Also 2 Service manuals. They are in a TRS-80 Archive. What is the best site to submit these files so the community will have the best access to them.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    27,631
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    That terminator makes absolutely no sense. From the schematic, 4, 6, 8 are NC and 10 is the "2 sided" output from the drive. 40,38,36 and 34 are Write gate, Write Data, Step, and Direction.

    If an internal drive has no termination packs, this will accomplish nothing. If the internal terminator is present, there's no need for this jumper setup.

    Can anyone explain this one to me?

  9. #19

    Default

    That terminator makes absolutely no sense. From the schematic, 4, 6, 8 are NC and 10 is the "2 sided" output from the drive. 40,38,36 and 34 are Write gate, Write Data, Step, and Direction.

    If an internal drive has no termination packs, this will accomplish nothing. If the internal terminator is present, there's no need for this jumper setup.

    Can anyone explain this one to me?
    I had the same issue when I thought I needed the terminator. Having no info then, I concluded that it could only be some kind of loopback. But the schematics didn't provide any clue which pins should be connected. But I'm glad someone provided the info even if it makes no sense, other than as another Tandy money source.

    What is the best site to submit these files so the community will have the best access to them.
    I wasn't aware of the 1981 version, but the 1980 version is at http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/trs80m2/doc/ or http://www.vintagecomputer.net/fjkra...p/trs80m2/doc/.
    There is no official successor of the trs-80 archives, but I would be happy to host it.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    27,631
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Lorne has pointed out to me that the earlier termination scheme with the jumper block relies on a peculiar wirewrap patch to the SA800, wiring the "user I/O" pins to spare terminator header pins. In other words, a terrible kludge...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •