Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Source for 720KB diskettes (Was: Interesting requet.

Blog Entries

Default Source for 720KB diskettes (Was: Interesting requet.

Last week I asked to aquire some 3.5" DD/DS 720k disks. Turns out an item of test equipment at work is being put back into service. Needless to say the chap was over the moon when I turned up at work the next day with few.

Seems we'll need a steady reliable supply and I don't want to deplete what little I have. Anyone dealt with the sellers of those disks on EBay at all?

Thanks in advance.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

I'd go local. Check out our member stone. His sig line is:

* If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3.5" or 5.25" floppy disks, PM me. I've got plenty of new, used and reformatted/overlabled disks for sale. *
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

Cheers. Been a while since I've popped in. I have suggested using DS/HDs with the ID hole covered in the interim if he's really desperate. One of the bosses even asked if we still had PCs with fdd installed. Thankfully my work desktop does as do a few PCs in the instrument shop. He seemed quite surprised.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Just a gentle reminder to pick subjects for threads that reflect what the thread is about. "Interesting request" is far to generic to be interesting to anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    I have suggested using DS/HDs with the ID hole covered in the interim if he's really desperate.
    I wouldn't call that desperate -- I don't think I've seen a 'real' 720k floppy since the early 90's... and those were for a Alesis Datadisk Midi Sequencer... just put a piece of tape over the hole that's not the write protect, and be done with it.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

The big problem is that a DSHD with a blocked media-sense hole is not the same as a real DS2D. It might be okay in a pinch, but I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for its long-term stability.

The DS2D coating is thicker, with a larger particle size and higher "loading" as well as having slightly different magnetic characteristics.

There are NOS DS2D floppies still around, but you'll have to look for them--and be prepared to pay the market price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    It might be okay in a pinch, but I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for its long-term stability.
    We're talking 3.5" floppies, they had long term stability? In ANY format?

I've got 30 year old 5.25" disks that work fine today... I've never had a 3.5" disk in ANY format last more then three months. The only selling point they EVER had was capacity -- it sure as shine wasn't reliability, even with the silly plastic case... and the doors that tend to break off in drives and springs that scratch up the surface.

Used to have a co-worker who went around the office and ripped all the hoods off the 3.5's, because he was sick of having to try and fish them out of drives.
    Last edited by deathshadow; November 16th, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Blog Entries

Don't lecture me on stability of magnetic media.

That being said, I have lots of 3.5" DS2D floppies (it used to be our standard distribution medium) that are just fine 20 years after they were written. See an earlier post on re-cycling old (>10 years) 3.5" media. My own attempts at recycling old 3.5" media over a sample space of about 200 floppies shows both 3.5" DS2D and DSHD seem to have a recovery rate (i.e. all-good, no flaws) of between 50-60 percent. If you find one of those disks, it's pretty much good long-term--I've used and re-used floppies from the good pile with no problems.

What this says to me is that most 3.5" floppies have issues right out of the box--and that a further culling yields the dependable disks.

How many 3.5" DS2D floppies does the OP need? If it's just a hundred or so and he's willing to take culls, maybe I can help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Don't lecture me on stability of magnetic media....
    LOL!

I've still got some NOS bulk 3.5DD diskettes as well (unculled ).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    I wouldn't call that desperate -- I don't think I've seen a 'real' 720k floppy since the early 90's... and those were for a Alesis Datadisk Midi Sequencer... just put a piece of tape over the hole that's not the write protect, and be done with it.
    Well here's your chance to get some- http://floppydisk.com/ It was a common format for embroidery machines.

Cheers for the feedback guys.

Yea the title was a bit so so but I wasn't expecting a request such as that. And usually old hands have a quick squiz to see what the fuss is about. I'll find a bit more detail about the piece of equipment they're to be used in.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; November 16th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.