Image Map Image Map

Thread: Mac IIfx no video/not booting

Default Mac IIfx no video/not booting

Have had this Mac IIfx for awhile and decided to try and get it working. On the first try, it showed no signs of life. Replaced the PRAM batteryies and now I get the chime and hard drive spins up, but I get no video from it, no further activity. I have thoroughly inspected it and found no obvious problems. As i don't have the proper apple monitor for this, I am using a Mac video (DB 15) to VGA adapter. Do I need a special VGA monitor with this adapter? Is there any way to confirm that the video is working and perhaps the problem is my adapter/monitor? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by platatomi View Post
    I am using a Mac video (DB 15) to VGA adapter
    You need an adapter with switches to force the monitor sense code to something like 640 x 480 (Apple 13" Color) if you are using
    older Nubus video cards that don't know about VGA sense codes.

Does this schematic look right?

mac2vga.jpg

Blog Entries

Make sure the adapter is set for 640x480, many old Nubus cards that came with mac II's won't do anything bigger then that. The video card might be fixed frequency or needs a SOG (sink on green monitor) to work.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Yeah, it might need the sync-on-green signal. If it's an Apple card, you can pretty much forget it being able to work with normal VGA monitors.

Found the correct adapter, with 10 DIP switches to set sense codes, sync, etc. And it WORKS! I have scratched my head and screwed with this machine for many months now, so its excellent to see it working!

And it was a lucky hit - I have lots of old VGA monitors, but a unit that I pulled out the trash a few years ago is the only one that works with this thing!

Thanks for the tip.