Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac prototype I just acquired today

Default Mac prototype I just acquired today

Haven't opened the case yet (due to not owning the screwdriver necessary to for a while now), but this appears to be a prototype Macintosh with the original 5 1/4" twiggy drive still intact. The only other one I've found to exist on the internet has had the Twiggy drive replaced with a 3.5" one. It powers up to a normal blinking Mac floppy symbol, but I don't have the floppy discs to boot it from. Really curious to see what's inside it when I get the proper tool. I got a prototype keyboard with it too, no mouse though.

Very cool! What does the back look like? Are the ports different than the 128k?

That is totally awesome! I'd love to see more pictures, I have a small collection of pictures of Apple prototypes. I'd love to see the inside of the machine and how they managed to fit the twiggy in there.

Also, might I ask from where you picked it up?

Edit: Someone needs to get this guy a Lisa boot disk stat! Or maybe System 6 on a Twiggy disk? Is that eve possible?

I didn't realise Twiggy got far enough for Apple to cut the steel mold for the Mac case; I knew they had it for Lisa, but didn't know they did the Mac. Got photo of the rear and bottom as well? This is the only other photo I am aware of. Please photo-document the heck out of this unit...
    Last edited by dorkbert; January 27th, 2012 at 12:22 PM.

That is AWESOME to see one of those in a private collection, I have only ever seen press photos and demos of twiggy macs, but I bet all the apple dev's had them, though I don't know how many twiggy fronts were molded.

I think your only hope of ever booting the thing would be to find a twiggy boot disk from some former apple dev OR maybe connect an external 400k drive, boot from that, then make a twiggy boot disk from there (assuming you can find/make a twiggy disk, I have heard someone has cut twiggy shaped openings into a 1.2m 5.25 floppy and got it to work), this also assumes the SWIM chip on this prototype can handle a 400k drive, which I think it might, I think the Lisa's supported both, and I bet the swims were identical in early macs.

Just so happens I found the perfect peripheral for your new machine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200704337657

Hehe. Prototype Apple HDD with Lisa connector. A little pricy, though, but the coolness factor is off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by mactwiggy View Post
    Haven't opened the case yet (due to not owning the screwdriver necessary to for a while now), but this appears to be a prototype Macintosh with the original 5 1/4" twiggy drive still intact.
    You have a very rare beast there. I only ever saw one inside Apple, which I found in a lab cleanout in 1987.
    I donated it to an internal group that was asking for donations to start an internal museum when
    the Infinite Loop campus was created.
    The donations eventually ended up at the Apple Library, which Jobs dismantled, donating its contents to Stanford.

Here are some more pictures:

I'm writing an article about it for Tom at AppleFritter. I'll post a link here when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    You have a very rare beast there. I only ever saw one inside Apple, which I found in a lab cleanout in 1987.
    Wow, that's really cool to hear!

Since it boots to a normal Mac blinking floppy, it probably works with the 400k Sony drives. It would take a lot of work for me to try and make a boot disk, though. I would have to actually buy an old Mac again that can run an OS old enough to read 800k disks. I'm not sure if it's possible to make a single-sided 400k boot floppy from an 800k floppy either. I haven't seen any blank 400k disks, lol.