Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyundai PC (8088 IBM XT clone)

Default Hyundai PC (8088 IBM XT clone)

I've been offered the above item, and I'm looking forward to collecting it toward the end of this month.

It comes with a 9 pin graphics connector (on an ISA card) which I presume to be either monochrome, CGA or EGA. The card also has a composite out, so I may be able to use a TV.

I am considering pulling that card altogether, and putting in a VGA card. These are the choices I have;

Tseng Labs ET4000 based dual output full length
    Tseng Labs ET4000 based dual output 2/3 length
    Trident TVGA8900D
    Trident TVGA9000B
    UC UM85C408AF

All of these are 16 bit cards, and I assume that the Hyundai will only have 8 bit slots.

Any thoughts on whether these cards will work, and which one might be best to try? (If any)

Thanks.
    My vintage Computer Museum. Please visit.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.brett View Post
    I've been offered the above item, and I'm looking forward to collecting it toward the end of this month.

It comes with a 9 pin graphics connector (on an ISA card) which I presume to be either monochrome, CGA or EGA. The card also has a composite out, so I may be able to use a TV.

I am considering pulling that card altogether, and putting in a VGA card. These are the choices I have;

Tseng Labs ET4000 based dual output full length
    Tseng Labs ET4000 based dual output 2/3 length
    Trident TVGA8900D
    Trident TVGA9000B
    UC UM85C408AF

All of these are 16 bit cards, and I assume that the Hyundai will only have 8 bit slots.

Any thoughts on whether these cards will work, and which one might be best to try? (If any)

Thanks.
    I'm sure that the TVGA8900D will work perfect in a 8 bit slot, you just have to close a jumper in the card(take a look here). I love this card, reliable, good VESA, low heat, very tough and good price.
    Last edited by lucasdaytona; March 2nd, 2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: added the jumper info link

It really depends on the specific make and model of the card... BUT, 95% of the et4000 and trident 8900/9000 cards I've tried work fine in an 8-bit slot. Never tried a umc-based card.

Nice. It's good to know old kit is avoiding the dumpster (for the time being).

Don't forget to post photos when you get the machine, Paul.

None of the four cards appear to be working.

I tried each one, both with and without the original EGA card in there. No display at all. Are there any jumpers I'm supposed to change on the machine?

Thank-you.

Paul.

Blog Entries

I use a Tsenglabs 16-bit card (I'd have to look which one) in an XT clone; it works just fine.

But first things first...

There were several Hyundai 8088 systems, have you looked at TH99 to identify your particular one?

You probably have to turn off the CGA, EGA on motherboard, so look for schematics of your motherboard on internet and find the switches, jumpers needed to change to an external graphic adapter. I had same problem before getting my Tseng Paradise working.

Quote Originally Posted by JT64 View Post
    You probably have to turn off the CGA, EGA on motherboard
    The EGA is provided by an ISA card (with an EGA Wonder BIOS chip on it). The way I have been disabling this card, is to remove it from the ISA slot completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    There were several Hyundai 8088 systems, have you looked at TH99 to identify your particular one?
    It is closest to the 'HYUNDAI ELECTRONICS, INC. SUPER-16T', but not close enough to be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I use a Tsenglabs 16-bit card (I'd have to look which one) in an XT clone; it works just fine.
    Mine is a COLORGRAPHICS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION SUPER WARP (Ver. 1)

Dip switches are set as follows: (1=on)

1=0
    2=1
    3=1
    4=1
    5=0
    6=0
    7=0
    8=0
    9=1
    10=1