Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix and WMP support

Blog Entries

Default Netflix and WMP support

I just recently started getting an errorN8106-152 while attempting to view anything from NetFliz through the Windows Media Player. I called in to their tech support line and eventually got hold of someone who too me through deleting the Netflix cookies, resetting a few things on the computer and finally telling me to go to the manufacturer of my computer. When I told him that I was the computer builder, he couldn't backtrack enough. Then he got "His supervisor" on the phone and the very first thing he told me was that Netflix is no longer supported in WMP. Even after I exploined that I removed the WMP plugin and let it re-install through their site.... Somehow I just couldn't believe I spent over an hour trying to resolve a stupid error that only occurred with WMP.

Needless to say, I didn't believe him at first. Then I started looking on the Web. You know what amazes me mst about this situation? The "Technician? I talked to should have known that their recent updates now don't support any non browser bases viewing! Seriously! He should have known that.

Oh well. I guess I just need somethinf to complain about. It also looks like even though Netflix will work on all of my gadgets, I still can't watch it through WMP. What a shame. They really are pushing buttons for a lot of people. And they wonder why people who use to like them now can't stand to mention them in a normal conversation.

I can't. And I've had enough.
    Thomas Chavez - All Things DOS - www.allthingsdos.com
    My Collection: Two IBM 5150's with working 5161 Expansion Units - One IBM 5160 XT - One Compaq Portable and One Portable 2, Mac SE FDHD, Apple IIe and TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1
    Wanted: - IBM 5170 AT, IBM 5155 Portable, IBM 5151 Monitor.

Blog Entries

Yep, many people are fed up with the service, especially not combining DVD and streaming together like they used to. That makes RedBox and Blockbuster DVD rentals a much better alternative. But why should they still offer the plug-in through their site if WMP is unsuported? Did they tell you how long they haven't supported it?

Hulu is making an entrance. Never have used it yet, but I got a 30-day free trial of it through the Wii.
    ~Ian~

Looking for a Gateway 2000 G6-333 - my first computer.

I know what you mean. Though I don't generally watch movies. With a cat, computer, and cutie, I've got enough drama around here. You could still talk me into watching some Hertzog though.

Talking about the changing landscape of downloading movies, I had a laugh at this recent article on Torrentfreak. (Warning, sarcasm ahead.)
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

I have Netflix ($16 a month for DVD + streaming) and I playing around with Hulu+ currently (1 week or so). Hulu is $8 a month and has commercials while netflix streaming is the same price, has much more content, and no commercials.

Mostly I like watching old TV shows from start to finish and Netflix is great for that (Farscape, Stargate SG1, SGA, SGU, Bones, breaking bad, Fringe, etc). Hulu is better for watching the last few episodes of current season shows you missed or never seen, plus they have some older content.

The funny thing is the fastest computer I own which is kind of old from 2007 or so is used 100% for streaming to my TV (Athlon AM2 x2 4600+ with 2GB of DDR2 AMD X1270 built in with HDMI). You do need a little horsepower to stream HD content. The OS is XP.

Seems like the requirements for streaming on Netflix have gone up over the years (PPC mac used to be supported I think now it is X86 only)
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DOS lives on!! View Post
    Yep, many people are fed up with the service, especially not combining DVD and streaming together like they used to. That makes RedBox and Blockbuster DVD rentals a much better alternative. But why should they still offer the plug-in through their site if WMP is unsuported? Did they tell you how long they haven't supported it?

Hulu is making an entrance. Never have used it yet, but I got a 30-day free trial of it through the Wii.
    Unfortunately, I didn't have the pleasure of speaking with anyone who really knows anything beyond what they were told, but I was able to squeeze him enough to give me one little tidbit of useful information. NetFlix stopped supporting WMP about 2 months ago. So while some streams were working, others were not. It took some time before all of their content was switched over to the newer higher definition, and about two to three weeks ago, all support for WMP ended. As far as the plug-in, I couldn't anything out of anyone. Once I got into my "manager" mode, I had everyone on their toes, but still nobody could give me anything beyond a promise to tell someone that I personally wanted some kind of notice placed on their home page. (Yeah, like that's really going to happen.)
    My Collection: Two IBM 5150's with working 5161 Expansion Units - One IBM 5160 XT - One Compaq Portable and One Portable 2, Mac SE FDHD, Apple IIe and TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I know what you mean. Though I don't generally watch movies. With a cat, computer, and cutie, I've got enough drama around here. You could still talk me into watching some Hertzog though.

Talking about the changing landscape of downloading movies, I had a laugh at this recent article on Torrentfreak. (Warning, sarcasm ahead.)
    I read the article and had to actually laugh out loud! My wife asked me why, so I told her what the article said. She too couldn't believe it.
    What I find interesting is the idea that people are illegally downloading movies or music, or whatever, and they're acting like they're actually paying for it. I'll be if someone actually called them on it to their face, and told them they could have it for a very small fee, they would still bitch about it.

Still; never undrerestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. I'll leave it at that.

By WMP you mean they dropped it all together or did they shift to just supporting silverlight or whatever streaming format? That's the way things keep heading isn't it? Increase in cost, decrease in benefits, all while they poke and prod to discover how much weight they can pull being the new monopoly for the time.

Wonder how long it'll take for a competitor to step up to the streaming market (I hear lots of folks using Hulu+, I'm just hesitant to pay for another previously free service). "Amazon PRIME" I know offers streaming of movies for a monthly fee, most folks I know are already members for the free 2-day shipping (I'm to cheap to care about that and still stick to my free regular shipping prices), but I do scoop up cheap dvd specials (most specifically TV) from time to time. The bad part is often my decision means I've already seen them so they just sit wrapped up as my archive copy. Last one I bought was the entire SG1 series, Farscape I'm watching but still haven't decided if I want to buy it, still good though. The new Battlestar Galactica I'm mostly streaming now but haven't had much time since the wife isn't in to most of my choices (I think BG is somewhat expected though, I could try and get her to watch it but with the number of actresses that can't keep their clothes on it would be a tough sale).
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    By WMP you mean they dropped it all together or did they shift to just supporting silverlight or whatever streaming format? That's the way things keep heading isn't it?
    They dropped ALL Windows Media Center support. Which really sucks, because I like the way Netflix worked in WMP. The web page playeer is OK, but it's not nearly as easy to navigate. Hulu is OK for watching later releases of new run TV shows, but they don't have the content to really back up a strong presence in streaming video. At least not yet. I do like Amazon Prime, and have seen some of what they have to offer. And their rate plan isn't bad either. In fact, one Netflix pisses me off for good, I'll probably go that rout, only because behind Netflix, Amazon has the content I look for. What's really sad is that with all of the content out there. You really don't need to buy any DVD or Blu-Ray disks at all. Hell, my DVD collection is obsolete, which means my entire collection of over 1200 DVDs is worthless. I don't even know how much my Star Trek DVD collection would sell for now, and it includes EVERY Star Trek series, every episode, including the Collectives! We have over $3900.00 in that alone. I guess I would be lucky to get 1/4 of that if I were to sell them now.

Now that is sad! Now on the other hand, I would love to get the original Battlestar Gallactica on DVD/Blu-Ray. I want Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Babylon 5. So I'm in the middle of buying thise as I see them and have the money.

Off the original topic but hopefully useful for a handful of folks who don't already scour the site during the holidays but I always check out desls.woot.com for a nice history of sales/deals on sitcoms. You'll at least get a bunch of other fellow patrons who post deals they find and when the deal was. I bought all of SG1 for $59 from bestbuy.com during a sale, they had the same price for SGA (I passed on that but in retrospect probably should have jumped on it) and a few others I won't mention but would be easy sales. OTOH some of these complete series ones check the reviews, I found a BUNCH of complains on the Red Dwarf complete series (can't remember if it was a specific publisher/cover though) where folks said everything from one specific DVD several folks received was corrupt, to one user saying it had the audio track from a completely other BBC show on one DVD. Crazy. But yeah I'm one of those who still likes to have a physical copy and/or support the shows I like vs "streamable until my membership lapses or they drop the content" versions.

On another note, I can't remember if it was Amazon, Bestbuy, or Wal-mart who started offering rental service recently. All of them seem to be offering used copies now too which is interesting.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Blog Entries

The only DVD set I have purchased in the last 10 years was for Farscape + Peacekeeper wars for $60 shipped (amazon last Christmas). Online streaming plus DVD rentals has changed my TV viewing habits form barely watching TV at all to seeing a few shows a nite before bed. The bad part is you will pretty much see everything you realy want in a year or so then having nothing new to see.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems