Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simtel.net is gone.

Blog Entries

Default Simtel.net is gone.

Another one bites the dust. Simtel.net has vanished, lack of funding. I'm looking for a mirror of the FTP for it, if anyone can find a mirror, they need a way to mirror it locally. This is a shame too, one less software site if we need something.
    JOZXYQK[/B][/B]

Blog Entries

Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Yes, but that's not the dos archives, those archives are gone, the ftps are no longer there. I should have been more specific about it, but that is not the simtel.net of lore.
    JOZXYQK[/B][/B]

Blog Entries

Last edited by Caluser2000; March 9th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Here ya go ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/
    For dos stuff ftp://ftp.freenet.de/pub/ftp.simtel....mtelnet/msdos/
    Also ftp://ftp.cs.cuhk.hk/pub/simtelnet/msdos/
    And ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/pc/simtelnet/msdos/

Took a 3 minute search to find the mirror list.

Edit: I'll go through and delete the dead links.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; March 9th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Looks like the original Simtel ftp files are still available too ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/

so don_t_panic_button.jpg

This is a public health broadcast message brought to you by the letters P,P & P.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; March 9th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

It's going to be hard to kill that one. There's private ones too, like this one:
    http://www.scovetta.com/archives/simtelnet/msdos (if it wasn't mentioned already).

So there's a lesson eh? When you see something you could use, now or in the future, grab it. I've gone through simtel dos archive with a fine tooth comb for so many years now that there is very unlikely to be anything there which I would want in the future and which I haven't grabbed years ago. Old file sponges never die - but they do get saturated.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

They do get rather slimmy and dribble a lot if not cared for though

According to the README.MIRRORING file it can be freely mirrored as long as you abide by some very simple conditions. Of course the link in comes up with an error on the new look simtel.net page.

Anyway the myth that the original ftp files have vanished is totally incorrect. Where did you get that info from k2x4b524[ ?
    Last edited by Caluser2000; March 9th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Over the past year, I've gathered up at least 7 gigabytes worth of DOS utilities from many site and sources, which may come in handy for imaginative catastrophic events like this. But yeah, what did you do to get Simtel offline on your computer? I visited it two days ago and it was still chugging.
    ~Ian~

Looking for a Gateway 2000 G6-333 - my first computer.

Blog Entries

Cal, you are right, there may be others, but for how long?
    JOZXYQK[/B][/B]