Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to have a shared network folder on vista that windows 98 can access?

Question Is it possible to have a shared network folder on vista that windows 98 can access?

Exactly that. My Pentium's USB support is not that great and crashes a lot when I use my flash drive. I want to send files back and forth between my windows 98 pentium computer and my windows vista laptop via network.

Blog Entries

Sure, just enable NetBEUI protocol on your Vista system. A lot of folks here do just that. As a matter of fact, I use NetBEUI to share between Windows 2K-XP-OS/2-Win 9x and even MS-DOS.

Do you know of any tutorial of how to do that. I don't really have any experience of networking, except playing lan games and internet sharing. I have played around with the shared folder on 2 xp computers before. So how do I enable NetBEUI on my vista system? and when I made a shared folder on my vista computer, how can I make it show up on the win98 computer?

Blog Entries

To access the shared folder on your Win98 box, go to the "Network Neighborhood" icon on your desktop. You should see your Vista machine there.

As far as setting up NetBEUI, just go to the control panel->netowrking and then add the protocol from there. You may need to restart, but Windows will tell you that.

http://windowsvistanxptricks.blogspo...otocol-on.html

Blog Entries

Think it'll be fine. Just wanted to add two things.

If it doesn't appear in Network Neighbourhood, (even under Entire Network etc), try opening explorer and actually type \\laptop_name.

As a last resort, share a folder on your Windows 98 machine, rather than the other way around. I know my Windows 7 machine has no problems at all dropping files on Windows 98, but it can take ages for it to appear in the list, so I manually type it's name.

I don't have NetBEUI though, just TCP/IP with 'Allow NetBIOS over TCP/IP' checked.

According to that web page, those instructions are for XP, but I tried following them as good as I can, and I tried installing the NetBEUI, but it doesn't show up. It says for XP that the NetBEUI is on the XP disc, so I guess its the same for vista, and I don't have any vista discs.

Blog Entries

What networking protocols do you have enabled on your Win98 system?

I chose NetBEUI because it works with a wide variety of vintage systems.

the protocalls on my win98 system are:

TCP/IP -> Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    TCP/IP -> NE2000 Compatable

Blog Entries

Those are your adapters assosciated with the TCP/IP protocol. Once you install NetBEUI, along with that, it will also list, "NetBEUI-> Intel(R) PRO/100+ Management Adapter *and* NetBEUI->NE2000 Compatable"
    ~Ian~

Looking for a Gateway 2000 G6-333 - my first computer.

Well I tried installing it but it wants the windows 98 install disc for some reason. so I go and get the disc and put it in, the cd drive recognizes it, but WTF? it can't find what its looking for? but its in there!

how can I make it see the file on the disc?