Image Map Image Map
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

I've tried booting from a DOS floppy and when I run FDISK I get "Error reading fixed disk". Weird, because the flash drive is formatted and installed with IBM PC-DOS 5.02 and I have been using it in an IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 with no problems. I tried another flash disk I have (new in package) and that one, when starting C>>C, will show "Starting MS-DOS" and then hangs. And again, when starting from a boot disk and running FDISK I get "Error reading fixed disk" again.

BTW: that third line with "Master at 0h: not found", could that be part of the problem? I can't remember that being there when I used the controller in that 8530 286 computer, that only showed Master at 300h and Slave at 300h.
    Oh man, this isn't happening... it only thinks it's happening. - Kevin Flynn

Have you tried FDISK/MBR?
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

If I try FDISK /MBR, I get "The master boot code has NOT been updated" (from an MS-DOS 6.0 boot floppy), normal FDISK gives me "Error reading fixed disk" again.

OK, s'more info:

I went along and took my other IBM 5170, this one's a newer model with 2nd rev. BIOS chips and 8MHz Type 2 mainboard. Took my pre-installed flash disk, put it on the XT-IDE controller, booted from the Setup disk and set the harddrive number to 0. Switched off and installed the controller...

No problems there, it just does what it did in the PS/2 Model 30 286. Counts 640K memory, beeps, loads the XT-IDE BIOS and boots C>>C. I can see IBM PC-DOS 5.02, the games and software on the flash disk.

BIOS revision problem?? The "problematic" 5170 is a 6MHz one, Type 1 mainboard and rev 1 BIOS with 256K memory (only bank 0 populated).

Quote Originally Posted by Denniske1976 View Post
    BIOS revision problem?? The "problematic" 5170 is a 6MHz one, Type 1 mainboard and rev 1 BIOS with 256K memory (only bank 0 populated).
    So, an IBM 5170. Have a read of the earlier post [here] for IBM5170/XT-IDE incompatibility that I encountered many years ago.
    There are some following related posts in the thread.
    In use was the first version of XT-IDE card, containing early versions of the XTIDE Universal BIOS.

Then (and maybe know), the problem trigger was the 5170's BIOS. From memory, upgrading the BIOS on the 5170 motherboard from the first revision to the final revision only reduced the problem severity (read errors still happened, but only occasionally), and changing to a non-IBM BIOS removed the problem altogether.

I have XT-IDE ATL 2.0.0B3 up and running in my 486 machine, using the motherboard IDE, and it's currently installing FreeDOS 1.1 from CD to a Western Digital 40GB I managed to scrounge up. So far, no big problems aside from the FreeDOS installer being slow on a 486SX-25. I'm using a 27C128 I borrowed out of another card, and it's currently living in my Etherlink III's boot PROM socket assigned to C800h.

I've been wanting to get this going for a while now, since the system BIOS is CHS-only and none of the DDOs I've been able to find easily support FAT32.

R580 binary is now available here.

I see that R580 (and other older releases) has also "ide_tiny.bin", ~4k only used space... that's what I need for an integration on an existing BIOS

I have already searched info on it by Google and repository but no luck.

The file is 8k for some reason? Can I cut it down to 4k or I loose some info (checksum is not a problem)? What module are excluded? what instruction code is used (8086/80188/286)? anyone know?
    Thank you for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Simone2013 View Post
    Can I cut it down to 4k or I loose some info (checksum is not a problem)? What module are excluded? what instruction code is used (8086/80188/286)? anyone know?
    The Tiny build uses 8086/8088 instructions only. Yes, you can truncate the file but I would recommend building with 'make xt_tiny' instead if possible (to avoid the risk of botching it while editing). This will create a 3987 byte file without the option ROM checksum if building from the latest revision (r588). Note that you will need to add MODULE_8BIT_IDE_ADVANCED to get support for the XT-CF cards. See the makefile for more info regarding modules.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

I am trying to build the latest R588 binary but I can't compile the new Serial_Server binary... I get an error related to win32.obj . I followed the guide on the wiki and successfully compiled the other parts. Any idea how to fix things so serial server compiles too?

TIA for any info/help!

edit:
    please keep in mind that this is the first time I am compiling anything , I tried to figure out if a win32.obj file exists or is a part of something I am missing but I failed. I have installed the full version (300+ mb) of tdm-gcc.
    Last edited by keropi; October 6th, 2015 at 12:07 PM.