Image Map Image Map
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    I'm inclined to say it's a hardware problem but I suppose it could be a timing problem of sorts. Hard to say really.

It sounds like you're using the old and buggy beta 3 version? If so, try the latest version available from here. Not that I expect that to fix the problem but you never know. Also, you could try the SSD in another machine with a different BIOS - if it works there then it's probably not a hardware problem.
    I've used the 12Kb ATL-version that is on google code. I was afraid to use the one you're linking to as it was a 'strange' 8.9Kb in size. But then again, I've burned it onto a 16K chip, leaving the rest blank, so it should not matter really.
    Sometimes it bypasses everything and then tells me there is no basic rom installed (while this motherboard doesn't have a socket for a basic rom).
    I'll try the 8.9K version you linked to, see what it does. I've had the problems on 2 machines now and all sorts of other strange things. Tried swapping out everything else from psu to memory but everything seems to be fine (except probably the XTIDE Universal BIOS I tried).

I'm probably doing something wrong here.
    I've downloaded the 8.9K rom image, burned it onto a 16K rom (27c128 ) just at the start and left the rest empty.
    For the 12K Google Code version this worked, but the 8.9K doesn't even seem to run.
    I didn't run xtidecfg.exe as this wasn't needed on my previous rom, maybe that's wrong?

Same kind of rom, same NIC, so it is configured to boot from the bootrom. I just swapped the rom out. Any ideas?
    Last edited by irix; October 19th, 2017 at 01:23 AM.

You must run XTIDECFG.COM and configure the bios for your machine, Use the autoconfigure option if you are booting the 486 via floppy, and save the changes back to file, XTIDECFG.COM will do it's magic and add the checksum byte. Also on your 486 go into the system bios and set hard drives to 'None', This will give control to the XUB.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    You must run XTIDECFG.COM and configure the bios for your machine, Use the autoconfigure option if you are booting the 486 via floppy, and save the changes back to file, XTIDECFG.COM will do it's magic and add the checksum byte. Also on your 486 go into the system bios and set hard drives to 'None', This will give control to the XUB.
    So the Google code ones are pre-configured I guess.
    I tried doing auto config on them, but then the whole pc stalled. I'll try these with this config.

Ok so I ran it again on the target pc, Auto Configure hust stalls/crashes the pc.
    But I can find my way in manual config, just 1 question: it says control block at 3F0, but on my IDE controller (VLB Winbond W83759AA) I see my floppy controller is at 3F0 (setting this to 370 with a jumper results in a "floppy controller failure" in my regular bios).
    Can I let this control block at 3F0 or do I need to change that to something else? Not sure what this does, I think the rest is quite understandable.

IIRC the XUB has limited support for VLB cards, I remember Some support was added but i can't remember what VLB cards it was for, It might be why autoconfigure is not working on your machine, Have you got an IDE/Floppy controller you can use.

IIRC the XUB has limited support for VLB cards, I remember Some support was added but i can't remember what VLB cards it was for, It might be why autoconfigure is not working on your machine, Have you got an IDE/Floppy controller you can use.
    I have one, but that doesn't seem to match this pc at all, it doesn't want to start up past the VGA bios when that's inserted.
    When I know what "control block" at 3F0 means I can either leave it (same as floppy drive) or change this away from the floppy drive, to for example 370.

See 'Menu items on "xxx IDE Controller" submenus' and 'IDE controllers on VLB and PCI bus' on the XUB website www.xtideuniversalbios.org, I'm not sure if changing settings for the VLB card will do any good, Hopefully Krill will be along to answer that.

See 'Menu items on "xxx IDE Controller" submenus' and 'IDE controllers on VLB and PCI bus' on the XUB website www.xtideuniversalbios.org, I'm not sure if changing settings for the VLB card will do any good, Hopefully Krill will be along to answer that.
    With the pre-compiled Google code version everything works fine, just not every single time, sometimes it just won't see anything at all, that's the only problem I've had with that version.
    So the only thing I'd like to know is what Control Block does and if it's a problem is it's on the same address as the fdc, or that this is just pointing to where the fdc actually is, then it needs to be at 3F0, because the fdc is.

Edit: just tried it, for now it seems to run fine, but I have to continue testing before I can be sure. But at least the 1st boot was successful.
    Last edited by irix; October 19th, 2017 at 05:26 AM.