Image Map Image Map
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Set J1/J2 jumpers to Hi speed mode, See post #488, When using CF originally setup with XUB 1.1.5 and you later re-flash with a recent revision of the XUB (New drive translation code) you will likely have to wipe / partition / format and reinstall, Likewise if you setup the CF card using a recent revision of the XUB and then go back to XUB 1.1.5 you will likely have to wipe and setup again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    So I finally got around to testing this, and did some benchmarks with a 4GB CF card using the 1.1.5 BIOS already on the glitchworks v4 card, and aside from not being able to boot directly off the CF card, it went well. The 1.1.5 BIOS displayed drives 80 and 81 in a menu (there's an MFM drive in the system) and booting from 80 or A: worked, and I could fdisk/format and run disktest and everything checked out. I figured not being able to boot off the CF card was due to LBA support in 1.1.5 so I didn't worry about it at the time.

Then I flashed r602 (from the 6300 itself) and now, on bootup, the v4 card can't see the CF card at all. Both Master and Slave (at 300h) show "not found". I was careful to load IDE_XT.BIN and change the card type to 6300/Olivetti M24, and not much else, and the flash appeared to be successful. Both J1/J2 jumpers on my board are set to compatibility mode (as opposed to hi-speed/chuckmod mode).

What am I missing? The card isn't bricked; the BIOS starts up fine, it just doesn't think there's anything on Master (when the 1.1.5 BIOS could see it just fine).

Also, I never saw a menu for picking the boot hard drive; was that removed between 1.1.5 and 2.0.0 b3, or did I miss another setting?

Blog Entries

Whoops, my bad! I was so ingrained with "must not attempt adjacent register reads on M24" that I confused myself into keeping it in compat mode. I'll switch the jumpers tonight and retest.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Okay, full test results follow. The new M24/6300 code is definitely a small improvement, and running the NEC code on an NEC V30 is an additional improvement.

XUB 1.1.5, compat mode, 8086:

Code:
    Write Speed         : 77.05 KB/s
    Read Speed          : 91.04 KB/s
    8K random, 70% read : 9.7 IOPS
    Sector random read  : 59.0 IOPS

Average access time (includes latency and file system overhead), is 17 ms.
    I then flashed it to XUB 2.0.0 b3 (r602) IDE_XT (808x code) and moved jumpers to high-speed/chuckmod mode:

Code:
    Configuration: 4 MiB test file, 256 IOs in random tests.

Write Speed         : 84.26 KB/s
    Read Speed          : 102.71 KB/s
    8K random, 70% read : 10.6 IOPS
    Sector random read  : 57.5 IOPS

Average access time (includes latency and file system overhead), is 17 ms.
    I then replaced the 8086 with an NEC V20:

Code:
    Write Speed         : 87.52 KB/s
    Read Speed          : 103.72 KB/s
    8K random, 70% read : 10.8 IOPS
    Sector random read  : 63.8 IOPS

Average access time (includes latency and file system overhead), is 16 ms.
    Finally, I reflashed with IDE_XTP to get the NEC V20 code:

Code:
    Write Speed         : 106.83 KB/s
    Read Speed          : 142.57 KB/s
    8K random, 70% read : 14.0 IOPS
    Sector random read  : 69.6 IOPS

Average access time (includes latency and file system overhead), is 14 ms.
    Looking solely at read speeds, the improvements were:

1.1.5 to 2.0.0b3: 12% faster (this is what Krille originally wanted to know)
    2.0.0b3 8086 code to 2.0.0b3 NEC code: 38% faster

Hope this helps! I broke a 6300 doing this so I'll start a new thread for that one
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

XT IDE Universal BIOS bug?

I've found an old XT-compatible computer with WD-1002 MFM controller and ST-225 HDD.
    HDD is formatted with MITAC ADM v1.0 and divided onto two partitions (10Mb+10Mb).
    The first partition is bootable but protected with ADM password (I do not know it).
    The second partition is open.

After installing XUB (~589) with boot manager module (F2) I see a two "Foreign disk 80h".
    "Foreign disk 81h' and my IDE drive as 82h.

IDE drive is bootable (with XUB boot manager), I can see my IDE as C: (80h) and second MFM partition as D: (82h)

Unfortunately, first MFM bartition becames not bootable after XT IDE installation.

I've not heard of MITAC ADM v1.0 before, Got a link ?, What version of DOS are you running, What does FDISK say about that partition ?.

XUB does not boot disk formatted by ADM.
    I've found a bit newer version of ADM (at warez site, sorry)
    http://old-dos.ru/files/file_887.html

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Okay, full test results follow. The new M24/6300 code is definitely a small improvement, and running the NEC code on an NEC V30 is an additional improvement.
    Thanks for testing Jim, I hope you get the machine in working order again.
    Quote Originally Posted by alecv View Post
    XT IDE Universal BIOS bug?
    Nope. Make sure that the MFM controller is not configured for two drives (check jumper settings).

BTW, on a slightly related note, have you tried the new MODULE_MFM_COMPATIBILITY?
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"