Image Map Image Map
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Actually Switches on HotShot are set as follows:

OFF OFF ON ON 0CC000-0EFFFFH

I was mistaken when I specified

CC000 to DFFFF

P.S.

I'm willing to experiment as much as you like. It may take me some time to get to sometimes. Real life gets in the way of hobbies every now and then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    Perhaps one or two NOPs strategically placed in the XTIDE_INSW macro will suffice but that's assuming the problem only affects reads. Ideas and suggestions are very welcome!
    I would recommend against NOPs because that's not going to work with any other situation, whereas something that clears the prefetch queue (JMP $+2) or gives the bus time to settle (OUT EEh, AL) are true delays and will work consistently.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    ... I'll try it later with upper memory cache disabled and the r591 XUB and report back.
    Setting the HotShot with all upper memory cache disabled made no difference. When using ANY version of XUB newer than r588, the DOM is not found at boot time. I even tried disabling all cache including the lower 640k. Still no go. So, maybe this is not a cache problem after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I would recommend against NOPs because that's not going to work with any other situation, whereas something that clears the prefetch queue (JMP $+2) or gives the bus time to settle (OUT EEh, AL) are true delays and will work consistently.
    Normally I would agree but this fix would be only for this specific combination of hardware so it doesn't really matter if it depends on CPU speed. In any case, it's all academic now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    So, maybe this is not a cache problem after all.
    Indeed, so we are back to square one. Could the reason be some obscure CPU bug? Is it possible to replace the CPU on the Hotshot?
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    ...Indeed, so we are back to square one. Could the reason be some obscure CPU bug? Is it possible to replace the CPU on the Hotshot?
    I don't know which type of chip is on it. I can't even remember if it's socketed. But I'll take the cover off later this weekend and have a look.
    BTW, What advantage do the newer revs have over r588? So far I've been satisfied with r588, although I think it's not as fast as my ADP50L, but I think it's more reliable. I've had a few occurrences of data corruption wit the ADP50L. In fact, one of my future projects is to replace the bios on the ADP50L with an XTIDE bios to see if I can see larger drives and improve reliability with it.