Image Map Image Map
Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Blog Entries

The real fix is to amend the XUB, but because I know you're working with IBM PCs, you might be able to cheat: When the BIOS starts up, it populates the interrupt table from preset values in ROM at f000:fef3. The interrupt 19 offset is located at f000:ff15 so you could JMP to F000??? from the value you find there. The IBM 5150 and 5160 BIOSes all have their default interrupt vector tables at f000:fef3. I can't speak for other BIOSes, but I checked the Tandy 1000 BIOS and the vector table appears to be there as well. In all three BIOSes, the value e6f2 is found at that location, so it looks like at least some BIOSes of the 1980s tried to keep int 19h at f000:e6f2. So, JMP there and see if it works.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Yep, I considered doing that but it strikes me as bad form... and I do think my code may be useful for others with the same issue I'm trying to fix (badly centered CGA output on TV), so I want to assume as little as possible about the system or its BIOS, for the same reason that I want it to work both with and without XTIDE. But thanks for checking those locations!

In the end I couldn't help feeling adventurous so I added my own minimal int 19h substitute after all, and so far it seems to work (still needs testing with a bunch of booters). But it'd be nice if the XUB didn't force me to do that.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

XTIDE Universal BIOS does initialization and drive detection on INT 19h. It was necessary because some XT systems (I think it was Tandy 1000 SX) don't have timers initialized during ROM scan so detection timeouts didn't work. The detection INT 19h handler then needs to be replaced with something else. The simple reset handler make sure system is properly reset so nothing messes with drive swapping etc.

I could make the necessary modifications to preserve system INT 19h handler now that there is a need to do so. I hope it won't cause any problems when trying to reset the system improperly.

After thinking some more there is maybe a better alternative than to preserve system INT 19h handler. The XUB reset handler could first try to boot from floppy drive A and if it fails, then do the warm boot. If I understood correctly what you are trying to do (capture INT 10h for booter games) then that should be all that is needed and there would be little or no harm if some ill behaving program uses INT 19h for rebooting.

Quote Originally Posted by aitotat View Post
    After thinking some more there is maybe a better alternative than to preserve system INT 19h handler. The XUB reset handler could first try to boot from floppy drive A and if it fails, then do the warm boot. If I understood correctly what you are trying to do (capture INT 10h for booter games) then that should be all that is needed and there would be little or no harm if some ill behaving program uses INT 19h for rebooting.
    I was wondering if maybe I was being dense, but I was thinking why dont you change the boot order to A then C - This is how I have my 1000 EX configured.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Quote Originally Posted by aitotat View Post
    Yes, all I need for my (admittedly marginal) use case is the ability to load and jump to the boot sector in A:, without altering the environment. What happens if that fails is a "don't-care condition" for me so your suggestion sounds good, even if I'm not sure what the implications are for misbehaving programs.
    int10h.org :: :: :: blog

Hi,

I just bought a lo-tech ISA card with XTIDE BIOS on it.

I have several issues (perhaps because I used a virtual machine to partition the CF drive ?) the XT can boot, access and read the CF card but there are very frequent read/write errors as well as MBR corruption.

Is the dev still active on this project ? As far as I saw, the latest release was R580, even if most download links point to the R566.
    I'm quite lost, as I wasn't able to find a changelog to help me choose the right version for my system !

Quote Originally Posted by PePe-fr View Post
    Hi,
    ... but there are very frequent read/write errors as well as MBR corruption.
    I would try another CFcard; I had those problems too with the malinov card(s), but most of the time it's because an incompatible CFcard.
    Try a 256MB Sandisk for example.

Quote Originally Posted by PePe-fr View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a lo-tech ISA card with XTIDE BIOS on it.

I have several issues (perhaps because I used a virtual machine to partition the CF drive ?) the XT can boot, access and read the CF card but there are very frequent read/write errors as well as MBR corruption.

Is the dev still active on this project ? As far as I saw, the latest release was R580, even if most download links point to the R566.
    I'm quite lost, as I wasn't able to find a changelog to help me choose the right version for my system !
    r591 is the latest I found - partitioning a cf card on a different machine isnt ideal, I'd recommend on a modern PC:

1. Put the Compact flash card in the reader and open an elevated command prompt. "Right click and Run as administrator"
    2. Type Diskpart.
    3. Type List Disk. "Find the number for your CF card"
    4. Type Select Disk "" <--- Your CF card number.
    5. Type Clean

Once this is done you can move over to your retro PC and fdisk & format it there.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

There's a version r598 (the r599 and r600 don't have the XT, AT, or 386 ROM files, just only tiny) on the XTIDE Universal BIOS page: http://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/bi...versions/r598/