Image Map Image Map
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    This smacks of CF IDE adapter compatibility to me, grab one of these and retest - I've had 100% success with these adapters used with an IDE extension cable.
    It does to me in a way, It's pot luck with those cheap chinese adapters, They either don't work or work and die after some use, The one you linked to, I've thrown more of those in the bin than any other but like i said it's pot luck, I've found the most reliable of the cheapo adapters are the ones that PePe-fr is using, I have a few of those and had no problems, I've found the adapters from E-Engines are pretty good, I have another i've had for several years but can't think of the manufaturer but they were a tad more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    It does to me in a way, It's pot luck with those cheap chinese adapters, They either don't work or work and die after some use, The one you linked to, I've thrown more of those in the bin than any other but like i said it's pot luck, I've found the most reliable of the cheapo adapters are the ones that PePe-fr is using, I have a few of those and had no problems, I've found the adapters from E-Engines are pretty good, I have another i've had for several years but can't think of the manufaturer but they were a tad more expensive.
    Bizarre, I've bought a dozen of those and had zero failures, they also work with even the cheapest Chinese CF cards.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Quote Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
    Bizarre, I've bought a dozen of those and had zero failures, they also work with even the cheapest Chinese CF cards.
    I don't think i've had a years use out of any of the cheap chinese adapters and i've tried a variety of them over the years, The exception being the cheap ones that are accessible from the rear and a couple of others i have which were more expensive, I still have a couple of the rear accessible ones left and now have a use for them so last week i ordered 6 more just to keep for future use, If i want an internal and external i just remove the bracket and use those plastic standoffs with the sticky tape on the bottom and secure the adapter some place internally, I have also used a variety of CF cards over the years from well known manufactures to cheap chinese no-name CF cards and all worked well with them, From the smallest up to 4Gb CF cards.

Hi,

I thought of a gadget which would be very very fun on xtide boards :
    Would it be possible to use the activity LED signal to generate sound to simulate hard drive reading/writing ?

I was thinking out loud but... that would be fun.

Something along those lines has been discussed before, Simulating the sound of the chirps / disk read / write, I think it'll be a lot of work for little / no gain, Personally as long as i can see an LED i'm happy, I like the silence.

Quote Originally Posted by PePe-fr View Post
    Well, there seems to be no problem anywhere.

The strange thing is that 1 card works out of 3. I managed to make a 128Mb Sandisk work perfectly, and still have the same FAT corruption for every write attempt I do on the two other ones (Sandisk 32Gb and Transcend 256Mb).

At this point, I will consider that there is some kind of incompatibility between my particular machine (it's a clone... a very undocumented one) and larger than 128Mb storages. The seller of the IDE board was able to test it with large cards, and I managed to partition, format and copy files on my biggest card using a Pentium 1.

I'll consider the case as solved for now, sell my 2 big cards and buy a second Sandisk 128Mb just in case !

Thanks for your help, this allowed me to conduct good tests and understand how all this works as I'm a newbie with retro-computing even if I used this particular XT for years before phasing it out !

Hi,

Just an update : at this point, I still can't make any use of the 256Mb card (I sold the 32Gb) on this particular XT, but I was able to make it work flawlessly on a more modern machine using the same CF adapter.

I bought another Sandisk 128Mb CF card, and it worked perfectly on my XT (I made the partition from the XT, thing I hadn't done with the first card due to the lack of DOS floppy with a partition editor on it).

I guess that there might be an issue with this particular XT clone motherboard/BIOS, creating a conflict which prevents writing on most CF cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    I've just added support for the Silicon Valley Computer ADP50L controller. Anyone up for testing? See here for more info.

Thanks to Great Hierophant for providing the original BIOS!
    More than five and a half years later, the Silicon Valley Computer ADP50L IDE controller has finally been confirmed to work with XTIDE Universal BIOS!

I'm very grateful to forum member gepooljr for doing the testing! Thank you Geoff!

The testing was done using a custom build I made specifically for this purpose as the controller BIOS is limited to a maximum size of 6 kilobytes (when using 8 KByte ROMs at least - the controller also supports 32 KByte ROMs but it remains to be seen how exactly that works).

I've attached this build in case anyone else would like to try it.

XUB_r600+_ADP50L.zip

The zip-file contains two BIOS files, adp50l.086 for use with 8088/8086 processors, and adp50l.186 for NEC V20/V30 processors. They must be configured with XTIDECFG.COM before programming/flashing.

For future reference, these are the build options;
    Code:
    MODULE_STRINGS_COMPRESSED
    MODULE_8BIT_IDE
    MODULE_8BIT_IDE_ADVANCED
    MODULE_HOTKEYS
    MODULE_EBIOS
    MODULE_POWER_MANAGEMENT
    MODULE_COMPATIBLE_TABLES
    ELIMINATE_CGA_SNOW
    RESERVE_DIAGNOSTIC_CYLINDER
    NO_ATAID_VALIDATION
    CLD_NEEDED
    And for the adp50l.186 file there's also this;
    Code:
    USE_186
    The Boot Menu and the Virtual Serial Drive support is not included, but aside from that, this is everything you need in an XT build of the XUB.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"