Image Map Image Map
Page 47 of 57 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: XTIDE Universal BIOS v2.0.0 beta testing thread

I've upgraded to the R598 ide_xt.bin, with PIU enabled : still go without the controller card.

It must be the source of the problem. There is a lot of jumper on it... so sad I've got no papers, and no markings on the board !

I've started to look closer. The board seems to be divided in 4 parts :

The Floppy controller, around an UM8272A
    Connector labelled "DISK" on top of this part, the floppies were connected here.
    Controller-1.jpg

A real-time clock, around an MM58167AN, and the battery (flat, of course... I need to change it).
    Controller-2.jpg

Something... perhaps an "empty" hard drive controller ? the socket is empty, and there is a connector which wasn't used (labelled J23).
    Controller-3.jpg

Something else, which is probably the communication part, around a WD8250-PL, and with 3 outputs (game and serial on backplate, and LPT on J22).
    Controller-4.jpg

There is a bunch of jumpers, mostly on what the "what-could-be-for-hard-drive" area.
    There is also another one in the comms area, labelled JP6.

Here is my mystery machine !
    Last edited by PePe-fr; August 14th, 2018 at 08:35 AM.

I don't recognise that card, have you looked on Tularc to see if you can find it, might be worth a look, It's a shame the back of the card is not populated, The seller could have at least fitted R4 on the back so D800h could be used as an alternative address, That's what the pads are there for. What's your soldering like ?

Never soldered SMDs...

I could try to find a way to check the C800h address area with the controller on and their card off ?

Hmmmm...

It looks like this one :

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/io-card...-I-O-CARD.html

There is a variation around JP2 (got 6 pins instead of 3).

The game port is set to 200h and not 300h, that's good (JP6)

It could also be an IRQ conflict with the timer : CheckIt did report HardDisk on IRQ5 but no timer in the IRQ table (there is "system timer" at IRQ0 but it must be another timer as it appears even with the controller off).
    Last edited by PePe-fr; August 14th, 2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: thinking out loud...

I did conduct various tests :

Test 1 :

Disabled :
    LPT+Gameport
    Serial
    Timer

=> SUCCESS

Test 2 :

Enabled :
    LPT+Gameport
    Serial

=> SUCCESS

Will now work on the timer : enable to check that the problem is still there, and try to work on the IRQ setting if it can be of interest ?

Your help was invaluable in this work.

Well. It’s not perfect as I’m still having trouble with 2 of my 3 cf cards.

I have a SanDisk with 128 mb which gives good results and allowed me to copy multiple programs to my modern PC for backup.

I’ll be happy with it for now ! Perhaps that larger cf cards are just too big for this XT.

Thanks again, I’ll open a new thread about the possible optimisations later (I already have a math coprocessor underway).

J22 & J23 are probably for 25 pin serial ports.

Tom

I wouldn't go adding to much into the system until i was completely happy with it, Can you boot from the CF cards that work, Have you got any other floppy controllers you could try, I have used 1Gb and 2Gb cf cards in my 5160 before with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by PePe-fr View Post
    Well. It’s not perfect as I’m still having trouble with 2 of my 3 cf cards.

I have a SanDisk with 128 mb which gives good results and allowed me to copy multiple programs to my modern PC for backup.

I’ll be happy with it for now ! Perhaps that larger cf cards are just too big for this XT.

Thanks again, I’ll open a new thread about the possible optimisations later (I already have a math coprocessor underway).

Yes, J22 and 23 are serial ports. Only J22 is connected (as COM2 is disabled) on my machine.

I had my motivation torn into pieces yesterday night... After my first tests, it really looked like if this timer part of the card was creating the problems.
    I reactivated it and put one of my larger cards and the FAT blew up as always (after some time, that was curious because at once I could write on the larger CF cards for the first time).

Then I deactivated this time once more and... well the cards (256Mb one) continued to blow up when writing on it.

Anyway, I still have too much questions about Xtide and the way it works (for example, I read everywhere that there is no DMA and thus no need for an IRQ, however I see that IRQ 5 in CheckIt is taken by "Fixed Disk"... what's this ?)...

Quote Originally Posted by PePe-fr View Post
    Anyway, I still have too much questions about Xtide and the way it works (for example, I read everywhere that there is no DMA and thus no need for an IRQ, however I see that IRQ 5 in CheckIt is taken by "Fixed Disk"... what's this ?)...
    The diagram at [here] represents in the normal (but there are variations, such as the XT-IDE). In an XT-class computer, IRQ 5 is normally used by an XT-class hard disk controller.

But that is not concrete. For example, I could create my own custom card (e.g. part of an alarm system), designing it to use IRQ 5, and creating matching software that gets called when the card generates IRQ 5. I would be asking for trouble though if I put that card into a computer that already had a card using IRQ 5.

In an XT-class computer, all CheckIt can do is detect that there is software (in RAM or ROM) that will be executed if a card generates IRQ 5. But it cannot work out which card it is. I am sure that Checkit is simply making an assumption: "I am running on an XT-class computer, and IRQ 5 is in use. Therefore, IRQ 5 must be in use by a hard disk controller."