Image Map Image Map

Thread: Converting C64G to NTSC

Default Converting C64G to NTSC

Is there an easy way to convert this computer to NTSC besides replacing the motherboard?
    Searching for NEC Powermate SX/20 parts:
    KTN-8101/2 (NEC OP-410-8101) and KTN-8102P/2 (NEC OP-410-8102+ or OP-410-8103) memory boards

I think you need to change the VIC-II, a crystal and perhaps also the Kernel chip. I've never done it, but if you search the Internet you will find people who have. The G model is the last one, white breadbox right? It never struck me it might only have existed in PAL land, but then again we over here in Europe were slower to adopt to new technologies so it might only have been possible to sell over here...
    Anders Carlsson

I wonder if Commodore ever made an NTSC version of the cost-reduced C64 board with the 8580 SID chip? I was only a little kid at the time, but I don't remember seeing breadbin-style C64's for much longer after the C64C and C128 came out, and even my C64C contains the old board with the 6581 SID chip. The C64 stayed popular in Europe a lot longer, while here in America, Commodore was heavily marketing the C128 and Amiga 500 instead.

This web page shows the different revisions of the C64 board, including the C64C, C64G, and C64 "Aldi":

http://www.mos6502.com/commodore-tec...s-inner-space/

The 64G was produced for Germany (hence, the G), and yes, it is beige with beige keys. I'll try to post a photo. I think I might just buy a converter box. I'd hate to mutilate two good C64's.
    KTN-8101/2 (NEC OP-410-8101) and KTN-8102P/2 (NEC OP-410-8102+ or OP-410-8103) memory boards

You should definitely pick a nice converter box instead of converting it from PAL. Remember, there are some games that work better on PAL machines and many demos that won't even run on NTSC. I have one PAL machine for those instances then use my trusty NTSC systems for everything else.

I'd really like to get a 64G but I can't justify the cost yet.

Heather

C64G's aren't that expensive, and they can be relatively cheap to ship if you ask them to leave out the power supplies as well. You can even get one with a 1351 mouse (they seem to be abundant in Germany). Just be sure to get close pictures of the computer before you bid to ensure it's not covered in tobacco tar (it is coming from Germany, after all).

Thanks! I may get one eventually when I find it at a price that works for me.

Heather

Blog Entries

I converted a Commodore P500 from PAL to NTSC. It was not difficult. I use parts (crystal and chips) from a c64 to do it. There are directions on my site.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio