Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead IMAC, what project can I do with what is left?

1. Lightbulb Dead IMAC, what project can I do with what is left?

Hi all,

I've recently recovered an imac from work that was being thrown out. When I got it home it had been gutted of a lot of parts, but still appears to have a working screen )

What I want to do is find something suitably innovative to do to it, perhaps convert it to put an old 8 bit computer inside, or turn it into a tv )

Anyway, I have done a video on it, please view and leave suggestions. If you know of any projects like this that have been done, can you let me know )

Best regards,

Steve.

Fish bowl?

Blog Entries

Night light. ( I remember at a computer swap meet back in the 80's that someone was selling old Grid laptops that had been gutted except for the pretty blue-green backlights as just that).

Blog Entries

I like this sort of thing. My first hardware hack was gutting a candy-coloured G3 iMac and building a PC inside it - P4, miniATX, LCD screen. PSU sits above the m/b on a mezzanine frame where the CRT used to be. The fun part was getting all the PC controls and interfaces hooked up to the iMac external interfaces. Still looks like an iMac, runs like a PC.

The flat form factor limits your options. First step, find somebody who has a working Imac of the same model and test your display in it. If the display doesn't work, your treasure's only future might be as an ant farm.

If the display works and the interface is a challenge you are willing to undertake, you could look at replacing the guts with a motherboard from a laptop if lucky enough to find one that fits or you are willing to extend the depth of the casing. Otherwise one of those tiny single-board computer kits now coming on the market.

The Raspberry Pi (community-supported, out of Camridge, UK) has a little ARM system on one chip, but gives HDMI video out, plus ethernet, RS232 and USB ports. It's also very cheap (<$60)and small, runs Linux and comes fully-built on a board. With something like that, maybe your display could revive as a photo-frame, web terminal, security monitor.. something decorative but not too demanding.

Good luck though - Apple make things hard for hackers.

Rick

Blog Entries

Now that is a great idea, ant farm.

Blog Entries

The Raspberry Pi is a great idea, I hadn't even thought of linking the two together. Testing the display is a must, hopefully it was the mainboard or processor that went out, the screen on that thing is the most expensive thing.

Raspberry Pi might be the best way to go. There are power supplies out there that are very small but still strong enough for lots of things; they were used in small form computers like the Hot Wheels and Barbie machines, they were smaller, but still maybe too big, and then surplus server or blade power supplies. And the Pi doesn't use much power at all, maybe 1A 5VDC. It's a great idea, good one, RickNel.
    Last edited by NathanAllan; March 20th, 2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typing errors
    The ancients knew *more* than us...
    http://www.legendarytimes.com/forum/index.php They're baaaack!

Come and see http://www.gamegavel.com for all your gaming needs! We have Zero-ohm resistors!

Heh, need parts?

Actually, I'm probably just kidding, there really isn't much left of this thing... Word to the not-so-wise, iMac's don't handle getting thrown across a room in a fit of rage too well (Though they probably do less damage to whatever they hit than an original IBM PC, heh...)

I was given this one by a friend's brother in law after his woman threw it at him in a fit, he was hoping I could recover pics and whatnot from the hard drive, but even it's toast after it's treatment. What a pity.

That's almost surprising. I mean drives aren't obviously meant for that force but case damage aside I would think the drive would probably still work in another system minus some bad sectors.. course that's old technology I had that experience with, not newer hard drives that seem to be designed for 3 year lives.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    ...course that's old technology I had that experience with, not newer hard drives that seem to be designed for 3 year lives.
    The old tech was too heavy to throw across the room so it lasted longer, hehe

Kidding, but I have also noticed hard drives don't seem to last like they once did :-/
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Night light. ( I remember at a computer swap meet back in the 80's that someone was selling old Grid laptops that had been gutted except for the pretty blue-green backlights as just that).
    Blue light will keep you awake at night. I've read online that we have a fifth kind of visual receptor in our eyes that is not related to vision but is sensitive to blue light and makes (most) of us wake up in the morning. Now, Seattlites may disagree with this theory, as some have been told to use a light box because it will "help".

Sean