Image Map Image Map

Thread: 68010 in a Mac?

1. Default 68010 in a Mac?

Just wondering if it is possible to upgrade a 68000-based Mac to a 68010. Would it cause any software incompatibilites? Any noticeable performance benefits?

Its a cool concept, thought id ask.

I've heard of Mac Classics being upgraded to 68030s. I've even considered doing the upgrade myself, using a powerbook 25/50mhz cpu planar. At the end of the day, ask yourself this, is it really worth all the time and effort? Don't get me wrong, I've hand soldered a 286 cpu to a prototype pcb and soldered that to a 386sx motherboard just to see if it work, btw it does just fine (after swapping crystals, stock one was overclocking it way to high)! To me the answer on my Mac classic though was no... It just make the software run too fast. On my pc on the other hand, it allowed me to get that much closer to original stock speeds. Sadly my 5162 doesn't have it's original motherboard.

Question is what is the goal for upgrading?
    Last edited by twolazy; April 2nd, 2012 at 03:34 AM.
    '. \ / .'
    '. .'``'. .'
    ......:::::::`.....`::
    Currently seeking a Compaq Deskpro 386

Blog Entries

Why bother with the 68010? You're not using the virtual memory capabilities of the '10 in the Mac so the end result doesn't run much faster than the original. An '030 or '020 would give better performance, but the '010 was a little disappointing in the performance department.

I think the point about the 68010 is it's a drop-in replacement for the 68000 that does give some measure of a performance boost - but you're right that it's not going to be much of one; unless it's a model without a PDS connector, it'd probably be easier (though not necessarily cheaper) to get a proper accelerator.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

There are differences between the 68000 and 68010 exception stack frames. Would that cause any issues?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    There are differences between the 68000 and 68010 exception stack frames. Would that cause any issues?
    I'm guessing that the answer is "probably".

The big issue is that Apple never expected that CPU, so any CPU idiosyncrasies or instruction changes wouldn't be accounted for. That's the same reason nobody has yet successfully gotten a 68060 to run - a few small instruction changes that make it incompatible with the Mac OS.

And, yeah, while the 68030 isn't a drop-in replacement, there are already upgrades for basically every 68000 Mac to bring it up to a 68030, so this upgrade would be silly.
    Apple ][+ through Retina MacBook Pro, 5150 PC through Core i7 8870/GeForce GTX 1080Ti and quad Itanium 9150M, and many in between.
    Newton, Palm 1000, Palm V, N-Gage, Tapwave Zodiac, iPhone, iPhone X.
    Intellivision, Game Boy through 3DS, Wii, XBone