Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Server Video (lack of)

Default Sun Server Video (lack of)

I just got my sun to VGA adapter today. So I plugged it in, no keyboard yet, and no video is displayed. Tried both machines. Is this because the keyboard is not plugged in? I've heard about things like this.

Robert
    Last edited by cobracon; May 3rd, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Nevermind, keyboard has to be plugged in even if the monitor is. I thought it was one or the other. But keyboard comes today, crosses fingers.

Exactly. No keyboard = server assumes it's headless and defaults to serial port a.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Grr, still no signal on both servers. Looks like I'll have to try a new monitor.

Does the monitor do sync on green? IIRC, the sun 13W3 connector outputs the sync signal that way, same as SGI (though on a different pinout).

Yeah the light turns green, on the monitor. Then starts to blink.

No, I meant does you monitor support sync-on-green signal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sync_on_green

VGA uses seperate horizontal and vertical sync lines - a lot of workstations (eg SGI and Sun) use a single, combined sync signal embedded in the green video line, and this is quite common on the 13w3 video connector - Not all monitors support this.

Some Sun video options have horizontal and vertical sync lines (meaning they're compatible with VGA displays), but I don't know if all of them do.

I think my problem is that its an old vga monitor. The resolution is pretty high for sun servers I have heard. I also tried to run the servers via serial cable. But all I have is a 25 pin to 9 pin modem cable. I think I may need a null modem cable. Sigh* This is my first time trying to use sun hardware or server stuff.

Blog Entries

Some higher-end VGA monitors support SOG and usually can be recognized by the 5 BNC connectors on the unit.

e.g. NEC AccuSync

The PS2 community generally knows about SOG monitors, so it's worth asking over there.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); May 5th, 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Haven't you a modern SVGA mon itor to try? When you get the serial port working you can wind the display size back on the SUN. Intel servers are OK. Whenever I need to get the Console on one of the SUN servers at work I end up pathcing it to the serial port on the Windows/2003 server above or below it in the rack and using Hyperterm. Sadly the new Intel boxes don't have seial ports so I am going to need a USB to Serial adaptor...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals