Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old Linix Distributions

Blog Entries

Default Old Linix Distributions

Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

What's "Linix"?

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Thanks Cal. Definitely something for the winter months.

It looks like there's a few more there than this German site, but there might be something more, so I'll post it: http://linux-distributions.org/

Or how about Linux 0.01 http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/

There was a previous related thread which might be of interest to someone now.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing these. Better for me to start from the early versions than the newest, isn't it.
    ~Ian~

Looking for a Gateway 2000 G6-333 - my first computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    What's "Linix"?
    Space earth realized, or perhaps 精神文? Comodorians will of course think Lunix.

Quote Originally Posted by DOS lives on!! View Post
    Thanks for sharing these. Better for me to start from the early versions than the newest, isn't it.
    I wouldn't think so. Things are very different now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    What's "Linix"?
    Well noted. Linux for those in a hurry to post before the boss walks in post lunch break.

Quote Originally Posted by DOS lives on!! View Post
    You could gradually work backwards or try Linux from scratch http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

The link I posted may not be that useful but I hope others like Ole have some useful links to historic (goodness are they really that old?) Linux distros.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; June 25th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    or perhaps 精神文? .
    This translates as "psychic text" (among other meanings). I could do with some of that for help diagnosing hardware mysteries.. Or even reading Chinese instruction manuals "translated" into English.

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    You could gradually work backwards or try Linux from scratch http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    Actually working backwards is indeed probably more instructive. Linux from scratch is also a good idea if one is ambitious. I got the book a few years back. Perhaps I should have a look at it. lol

The link I posted may not be that useful but I hope others like Ole have some useful links to historic (goodness are they really that old?) Linux distros.
    Don't look at me! I thought you were the expert.

The link you posted has a lot of actually useful versions as well as a few originals like Yggdrasil and SLS. Still the 0.01 version is calling out to me. I plan to have a look at that some time.

The first version that I tried I downloaded from a BBS over a period of a week or so. One floppy image at a time. That was in '94 and I think it was Slackware 2.0 which used Linux 1.09. I had to look that up, so yes, they are really that old. Writing half a dozen 1.44 floppies or more takes some time, and so does installing from them. That's a bit of an arduous task compared to sticking in a CD, clicking 3 or 4 times, and having a base system in 5 minutes like nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by RickNel View Post
    This translates as "psychic text" (among other meanings). I could do with some of that for help diagnosing hardware mysteries.. Or even reading Chinese instruction manuals "translated" into English.
    Psychic text eh? I just took a random cut from the web page. I was surprised to see how popular the name Linix actually was.

So, has anybody actually tried UNIX for the Commodore 64 - aka Lunix?