Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seagate ST01 SCSI Host Adapter, 16K ROM Version 3.3

Default Seagate ST01 SCSI Host Adapter, 16K ROM Version 3.3

Received this guy as part of a recent bulk purchase. I've not heretofore used any of the ST01/ST02 cards, but find this particular variant somewhat interesting. While the Seagate family of 8-bit SCSI cards are somewhat limited, given the seeming lack of ASPI/CAM drivers, if you're simply looking to throw a SCSI hard-drive into an older system with minimal fuss (or CompactFlash card solution, as I'm generally wont to do), this late-model variant is a pretty reasonable option.

As far as hard-drive support goes, it compares favorably with its contemporaries, with features like extended BIOS translation (allowing for drives < 8GB), termination power, and an exceptionally short boot time.

Seagate, remarkably enough, still hosts a document that covers the features and configuration/setup options for entire ST01/ST02 product range:
    ftp://ftp.seagate.com/pub/techsuppt/...rs/st01-02.txt

Despite the glowing remarks, I really don't have any plans for this card, so if you happen to have any interest (and any esoteric 8-bit soundcards for possible trade), let me know.
    Last edited by Cloudschatze; July 7th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.

Blog Entries

For any potential purchasers, note that a BIOS upgrade is available (somewhere in my files) that removes the issue with supporting Seagate drives only.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    For any potential purchasers, note that a BIOS upgrade is available (somewhere in my files) that removes the issue with supporting Seagate drives only.
    It already has 3.3 (soldered, not socketed). Is there a BIOS version later than that? Granted, the only SCSI hard-drive I have just happens to be a Seagate, but I was under the impression that the Seagate-only limitation was removed in 3.2 onward?

Blog Entries

No, I think you've got the latest BIOS. For some reason, I thought that there was a 4.01, but if there ever was, I can't find it now.

Note that I think this still limits one to <512 MiB, for whatever that's worth.

Note that I think this still limits one to <512 MiB, for whatever that's worth.
    I'm using a 4.3GB drive without trouble.

I'm only familiar with the 1GB barrier, as pertains to SCSI, which is what the extended translation in BIOS 3.3 addresses. The following is an excerpt from the linked Seagate document:

Addendum from the Seagate Tech Support BBS: The ST01/02 has a newer
    board layout that can be identified by the ROM BIOS chip with a
    version number 3.3 sticker.

Unlike previous versions of the ST01/02, this release will support
    drives with more than 1024 cylinders...

Blog Entries

Hmmm, the 1GB limit on SCSI drives is due to the 6-byte CDB issue. If the newer BIOS can use the 10 byte CDB, that's cool.

Hmmm, the 1GB limit on SCSI drives is due to the 6-byte CDB issue. If the newer BIOS can use the 10 byte CDB, that's cool.
    I assume that the SCSI device that can only accept 6-byte Command Descriptor Blocks is limited to using the read command and write command that uses 21-bit LBA. As far as I understood, SCSI devices with a boot loader/BIOS do not suffer from the 504MB hard disk drive barrier, as they translate the C,H,S values to LBA values and unlike ATA, do not have a different set of C,H,S limits. I believe the next major barrier would be the limits of standard Int 13, 8.4GB. The PC's BIOS would need to support Enhanced Int 13, as would the OS, and the SCSI controller's boot ROM may need to as well.

I need to do that upgrade to my cards(s), do I need an emprom programmer to do so?
    GEEKS WITH A GRUDGE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gerrydoire View Post
    I need to do that upgrade to my cards(s), do I need an emprom programmer to do so?
    Yes, you do.

If the on-board chip can be disabled, the newer BIOS file could always be put somewhere else (more convenient).

I'd be very interested to know what kind of DOS file-system throughput these can deliver, in an XT.